Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…the thing has a tube! Was thinking of putting some of the Stan's sealant in with a bottle that I was given by a friend and then two things occurred to me;

I need a tubeless valve for the rim. Don't have one. Tried Walmart, Academy Sports, and Target. Nobody had one. It's Sunday and bike shops are closed.

The Stan's bottle says the stuff only lasts 2-6 months. That's what really got me.

What's your experience with the No Tubes goo?

At this point I think I will go back with a tube. Tried to buy one at the aforementioned stores but they did not not have one wide enough. Found one close (2.3 v 2.4) and bought it without noticing it had a Schrader instead of the Presta I needed. Too much diameter difference to fit the rim.

jh

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not sure where you live but not all Bike shops are closed. Incycle in San Dimas and The Cyclery Bike Shop in La Mirada are 2 that come to mind

·
Formerly of Kent
12,353 Posts
Or you could just cut the valve off a tube, and use that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Yup - just hacking the valve off a tube will work - tape up the rest of the rim from there. Any proper bike shop should have tubes - if you're that hard up, a road bike tube will do if it has the presta valve.

I wouldn't worry about the stans being a replaceable item - if you're riding anywhere that tubeless has an advantage, then you'd be going through tubes at 4x that rate, and if you get random trail junk poking through the tire, you'll want to redo the stans anyway after about that long.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Wait... You bought a bike with Stans rims on it and it has a tube? No big deal. I can't think of any bike shop that lets a bike sit on the floor tubeless. They have tubes in em until you buy the bike and then you do it or the shop does it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tubeless sealant does dry up after 5 or6 months, faster if the bike is stored in a hot environment. Its easy to add more though. I havent bought a tube in quite a while but I recall most standard mountain tubes were designated 1.75 to 1.95 or something like that. They will work fine in a 2.4. As stated above, even a road tube will get you home.

·
Registered
249 Posts
With the Stan's rims you should only need the yellow tape, no rim strip.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it was a Stan's rim it should have already come taped. Trust me, you don't EVER want to put a tube in again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Stan's rims that came on my Fargo were already taped, just needed valve stems and sealant. Just a heads up, after you go tubeless, pop the tire off after about 2 weeks or if it seems to have a slow leak and add more sealant. newly converted tires soak up a bunch of the initial sealant you put in and you may have to top off after the tire is soaked in with sealant.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would have been absolutely floored if Walmart carried tubeless stems for bicycles quite frankly. I don't know why you even bothered going there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My El Mar came with Stan's ZTR Rapid rims which already had the Stan's yellow rim tape in them. If your Salsa happened to come equipped with non protection version Continentals (mine had Trail Kings), be prepared for a royal hassle trying to get them to seal with the Stan'e sealant. Mine bled the stuff through the sidewalls for a good 2 weeks and several rides before finally sealing well enough to hold pressure over night. Bout the time they both sealed good, i ripped the sidewall out of the rear on a rock. Replaced them with the Protection version Contis and have had no sealing or weak sidewall problems since.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Strapping tape I found is best. The kind with the fibers in. Cut to width. Sticks better than all the others.

Some Conti tires are almost impossible to seal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts