Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of mtn biking for a couple of years, sold my GT I-Drive, and just bought a Jamis Dragon Comp from Jenson USA and ready to get back into it...it just shipped today...this is killing me waiting for this bike. I started mtn biking when I was a kid and remember the rigid bikes I used to ride...so I am very excited about going back to a steel hardtail. The GT was nice but nothing like a steel hardtail to rip down the trail. I'll report back after I get the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats, I've been thinking about getting this bike too. When you get it and ride it, I'd like to hear your impressions. I noticed the '08 model has maybe a better shock and a few other things, but it's about $300 over what you got it for at Jenson. I'd also like to know how good their delivery/service is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the chromium/black frame...I didn't like the blue. I heard great things about this frame. I had a steel Jenson road bike and that bike was flawless for 6 years (just sold it). I got the 17'' frame which has a 29inch standover height leaving me a good three inches of clearence over the top tube. I'm 5'11'' with a 31-32 inch real inseam but I like my bikes small since I do technical single track. It's being shipped UPS and should arrive next Thursday but I won't be home to pick it up so I probably won't have it until friday or Monday. Anyway, I'll report back when I do get it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the bike and took it for the first ride yesterday. All I can say is, unbelievable. This bike is really nicely spec'd, light, quick, agile, comfortable. I rode so much better on this bike than my old GT. The bike is way smaller than my old GT which allows me to manuever around turns and tight singletrack so much better. The 17 inch frame fits me perfect. Some nice things that the bike has that I wasn't expecting are hand grips that have the colars on each end that keep the grips snug. The frame is gorgous and with the black rims and beefy tires, the bike looks like it's ready to race; it just looks fast. I got the chromium and back colored frame which just looks awesome. So for, 960 bucks shipped, you can not beat that price...it's a $1200 bike and you can tell as soon as you sit on it. Very very happy with my purchase. If you're looking for a great hardtail at a great price, get this bike.

·
Registered
549 Posts
How long is your stem? I'm your height, but ride a 19"...it does seem slightly on the big side, but most 17" frames I've ridden are too small...Dragon top tubes do seem longer than most, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jamis Dragon Comp

Hey, same story here. I just bought a Jamis Dragon Comp at JensonUSA. Good price. I've never bought stuff from them before but reviews of their company seem good. I curently have a Jamis Dakota XC. It's one of the ones made while still using steel in the frames. I bought it used on ebay a few years ago and it was pretty beat up, so I decided to buy a new Dragon.

I'm looking forward to the Dragon, I should have it in about a week. The Dakota is basically the same frame, Reynolds 631. It really rides well. I don't ride as much as I used to but looking to get back out there on the trails. I also might do some commuting on the Dragon and bought some slicks to speed it up. I also have a nice Jamis Quest road bike, but I tend to prefer to jump curbs and stuff when I commute and don't want to break my Jamis Quest's road frame doing that, so the Dragon will do well for an urban assualt kinda guy like me.

Anyhoo, it's been about 10-years since I've posted to this site. I was once a frequent flyer on the trails out in west Tx. I'll be hitting the trails here in north Tx now that I'm back to my home area. It'll be cool riding the Jamis Dragon. Just like old times on my old hardtail I used to ride/race, a Giant ATX 890.

Peace

·
Geaux ride!
160 Posts
I can't wait to lay my hands on my new Dragon Comp! I buddy of mine works at a Jamis shop about 2 hours away, got me a great deal on a 2008. Can't pick her up until Aug 1 tho, so enjoy yours for me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yo, got my Jamis Dragon Saturday. Rode it today but put a shorter stem on the 19" I bought. Rides awesome. I think the 17" would have fit me too, but I think I would have had to lengthen the reach with a longer stem, which would have meade it ride funky...I've had to do that to another bike before. Anyway, the 19" rides cool. I was bunny hopin' curbs and stuff. The fork works well, better than I thought. I might have the bike adjusted by my local bike shop though. Seems like the brakes and deraillures could use some adjustment. The bike itself is flawless and beautiful.

·
Geaux ride!
160 Posts
Got mine last weekend, well worth every nickel and days of waiting! I love the shock and the tires, well beyond my expectations. I hope to put up pics soon, so stay tuned!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.