Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I'm new to mountain biking and I just bought my 2010 Specialized hard rock disk today. I kinda made a dummy mistake of not realizing it wasn't the sport one but it rides smooth and I was planning on upgrading parts as I go anyways. It was between a giant revel which is basically the boulder se or the specialized hard rock. The revel was nice but it made a weird grinding noise and it was just a little uncomfortable (I know I could have bought a new saddle). The price for the specialized was $450 and the revel was $380. My last bike was the schwinn midmoor from amazon. Horrible POS even after being tuned.

So here's some pics of the schwinn and specialized. I hope to get to know you guy's better.

I don't know why the schwinn keeps showing up so big after I edited to a small pic...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude, you should get it or at least try it out along with other bikes. I would recommend if your gonna get the disk brakes get the hardrock "sport" disk. Mine is just the regular hardrock disk. One of the reasons being is that the rims will be double walled instead of single so it will be more durable. I'm going to upgrade my rims and other components anyways so I felt there wasn't a need to go back to my lbs and make a big fuss to get a sport. It rides so SMOOTH, I love it dude. I rode it at least 3 times today because it such a smooth ride. I feel like I can maneuver so easily and make turns and jumps with ease, unlike with that last bike I was afraid to go up a curb...

definitely upgrade the pedals, the plastic ones are okay... but after awhile you know you should swap them out. Thanks for the reply's again. I love talking about bikes :D :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been riding the Hard Rock sport for a few months now, and minus the RD, it has treated me fairly well. I ride it REALLY hard relative to what its made for so it should hold together for you. Congrats!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the added insight. I'm actually planning to ride my hardrock pretty darn hard too. I want to start learning how to huck even though I know this bike isn't made for it... I'll eventually probably get a specialized P1 or something. But until then, I'll let you guy's know how the hardrocks holds up to such aggresive riding.

·
Registered
443 Posts
tbui02721 said:
Dude, you should get it or at least try it out along with other bikes. I would recommend if your gonna get the disk brakes get the hardrock "sport" disk. Mine is just the regular hardrock disk. One of the reasons being is that the rims will be double walled instead of single so it will be more durable. I'm going to upgrade my rims and other components anyways so I felt there wasn't a need to go back to my lbs and make a big fuss to get a sport. It rides so SMOOTH, I love it dude. I rode it at least 3 times today because it such a smooth ride. I feel like I can maneuver so easily and make turns and jumps with ease, unlike with that last bike I was afraid to go up a curb...

definitely upgrade the pedals, the plastic ones are okay... but after awhile you know you should swap them out. Thanks for the reply's again. I love talking about bikes :D :D
I believe if I buy a 2011 Hardrock Disc, it will have double walled rims. The sport does have upgraded disc brakes though which is a plus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
joepa150 said:
I believe if I buy a 2011 Hardrock Disc, it will have double walled rims. The sport does have upgraded disc brakes though which is a plus.
sorry for the double post,

The 2011 models look awesome, now I kinda wish I had waited a little bit or just asked about it. I Love my bike though so isn't that big of a deal. Plus my LBS are awesome, they helped me out so much. They put together a couple of bikes just so I could test ride it and they did it on the spot. They even were bluntly honest and was like all these bikes are pretty similar in components and frame durability, it really all depends on what you like as in paint, comfort, and personal opinion. I really liked how this rode and color scheme, smoothness, and I admit i'm a specialized fanboy now. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
tbui02721 said:
Thanks for the added insight. I'm actually planning to ride my hardrock pretty darn hard too. I want to start learning how to huck even though I know this bike isn't made for it... I'll eventually probably get a specialized P1 or something. But until then, I'll let you guy's know how the hardrocks holds up to such aggresive riding.
I've been doing some smaller drops 4-5 feet or thereabouts, and some small jumps of roughly the same vertical, and it easy to tell that the bike isn't built for it. Though so far it has held up for me, I will say that I more than push it to its limits.

Just don't do anything your gonna regret if the crank of fork explodes. :nono:

Be safe, wear a helmet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Calles said:
I've been doing some smaller drops 4-5 feet or thereabouts, and some small jumps of roughly the same vertical, and it easy to tell that the bike isn't built for it. Though so far it has held up for me, I will say that I more than push it to its limits.

Just don't do anything your gonna regret if the crank of fork explodes. :nono:

Be safe, wear a helmet.
I'm eventually going to buy myself one of those p1's I think I mentioned above. If the fork were to explode, then i'll just buy a new upgraded one while recovering from a broken collar bone. just kidding. lol. By the way, I always wear my helmet:thumbsup: I just have to go buy a fullface and some goggles now. Got any suggestions. Also, I wear glasses, will I be able to wear them with goggles? dumb question?lol, I getting lasik pretty soon anyways so I guess it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
tbui02721 said:
I'm eventually going to buy myself one of those p1's I think I mentioned above. If the fork were to explode, then i'll just buy a new upgraded one while recovering from a broken collar bone. just kidding. lol. By the way, I always wear my helmet:thumbsup: I just have to go buy a fullface and some goggles now. Got any suggestions. Also, I wear glasses, will I be able to wear them with goggles? dumb question?lol, I getting lasik pretty soon anyways so I guess it really doesn't matter.
I don't have a full face, so I cant help you there. I will say though, coming from a guy who also used to wear glasses ( I wear contacts now) dont count on wearing glasses under goggles. I tried a couple times under my snowboarding goggles, and it just doesnt work. I would think youll be ok without them for now. If you havnt tried contacts lately, the material that they use has grown by leaps and bounds from a few years ago. I have extended wear contacts that I leave in for a couple weeks at a time, and rarely can I even tell im wearing them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Calles said:
I don't have a full face, so I cant help you there. I will say though, coming from a guy who also used to wear glasses ( I wear contacts now) dont count on wearing glasses under goggles. I tried a couple times under my snowboarding goggles, and it just doesnt work. I would think youll be ok without them for now. If you havnt tried contacts lately, the material that they use has grown by leaps and bounds from a few years ago. I have extended wear contacts that I leave in for a couple weeks at a time, and rarely can I even tell im wearing them.
I wear contacts too from time to time. The only problem is when your about to get lasik done, they require that you don't wear contacts 30 day's before your exam so your eyes don't have a certain adjustment they don't want. I'm getting lasik done for free too so i'm not complaining. Active Duty rocks with full health coverage so injuries and broken bones are the only things I have to worry about. Not the bills. lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
justbuster69 said:
enjoy your new bike!ride that baby til the parts drop!!!he,he congrats
THANKS!!! I am gonna ride this thing for a long time. I can't wait to take it to the trail on Tuesday. I just been riding some park walks in my neighborhood filled with sand. It's so fun even with these little trails.

·
Registered
426 Posts
tbui02721 said:
Don't forget to transfer the kickstand from your Schwinn to your new ride. ;)

Seriously, though, have fun out there. And that bike shop sounds like a keeper, going out of their way on a relatively inexpensive bike. Maybe bring them some beer sometime. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikedreamer said:
Don't forget to transfer the kickstand from your Schwinn to your new ride. ;)

Seriously, though, have fun out there. And that bike shop sounds like a keeper, going out of their way on a relatively inexpensive bike. Maybe bring them some beer sometime. :)
I was actually thinking about doing just that but the problem is that I already sold the schwinn to some guy on craigslist. He seemed pretty happy about the bike because it was pretty brand new. Only rode it for 2 weeks - 1 month.

Good idea about the beer thing, Any certain brewery suggestion? Blue Moon, Heineken, Budweiser? I don't drink to often.lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
tbui02721 said:
I was actually thinking about doing just that but the problem is that I already sold the schwinn to some guy on craigslist. He seemed pretty happy about the bike because it was pretty brand new. Only rode it for 2 weeks - 1 month.

Good idea about the beer thing, Any certain brewery suggestion? Blue Moon, Heineken, Budweiser? I don't drink to often.lol
The guys at my lbs usually dig the more exotic beers, but who knows about your lbs? I'm not a drinker, so I have no idea what is good or not. Drop it off just before closing time, on a slow night. Or send them a 'za on a busy day. Never seen a bike shop employee that doesn't like a good slice of pizza.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts