Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Surly 1x1 frame and I'm looking for ideas on how to build a great SS bike without spending too much money. All ideas will help me tremendously - I've never built a bike so I'm not even sure where to start - thx.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would suggest a 650b wheel size build. I think it's the best of both worlds between a 26" and a 29". I also believe the 1x1 was built for 650s since the fit perfect in the frame. Universal Cycles will build you a very nice custom wheelset for a great price...that's the route I took on mine.

Here's my build with some more parts to come...

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
sid001 said:
.....I'm looking for ideas on how to build a great SS bike without spending too much money.....
I recomend at first, check out what parts you maybe have left over from privious bikes.
Than if you want save money check out some online or local bike shops what parts they
have at sale and/or ebay.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
paul's ss rear hub, white industries freewheel, avid bb5's, saint cranks.
all available at good prices new, even better prices used (especially saints!)
nothing wrong with my hydros, but if I didn't have them in the house at the beginning of the build, avids would've been my call.

if discs aren't your thing, avid levers with lx parallel push v's, lx parallels are kickass tough and I've got a set that've spent I think 11 years constant duty.

for rims: tough and cheap (and heavy) = kris holm.
light and strong = mavic 521's or whatever they're called now.

for reference; I'm about 200 lbs and use my bike for road, offroad, and trailer hauling duties, so if you're gonna be nicer to your bike you should dial everything I said back a notch (like xt's instead of saints, etc)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.