Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..
Just curious what the comments were on this bike across the web community as here is where all the TRUE knowledge resides.
Just picked up the GT 1.0 avalanche model.

thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also a newbie (well, I used to ride about 10 years ago) and have been on an Avalanche 2.0 for a month. So far I've been happy, the frame seems very solid for the kind of riding I do (singletrack, no jumps or drops or anything like that). On my budget I couldn't really get a full suspension rig, but the Avalanche seems like a very capable bike. Enjoy!

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
BX02 said:
Hi guys..
Just curious what the comments were on this bike across the web community as here is where all the TRUE knowledge resides.
Just picked up the GT 1.0 avalanche model.
Its a fine bike. But it really depends on what you paid for it and what type of riding you do. If it's only going to see sidewalks and gravel paths, it's a super awesome bike and you spent too much.
If you're planning on racing downhill it's junk.

Oh, and if you don't intend to ride it on the road at night, loose the reflectors. They're gonna fall off on the trail anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tlg said:
Its a fine bike. But it really depends on what you paid for it and what type of riding you do. If it's only going to see sidewalks and gravel paths, it's a super awesome bike and you spent too much.
If you're planning on racing downhill it's junk.

Oh, and if you don't intend to ride it on the road at night, loose the reflectors. They're gonna fall off on the trail anyway.
I did some off road trails yesterday..but I don't intend on RACING down them per say.
But I went down some steep paths and I enjoyed it..
so I guess gravel paths and of course wooded trails is what I am looking at-down and up hill.
No jumps for now.

·
2,250 Posts
BX02 said:
I did some off road trails yesterday..but I don't intend on RACING down them per say.
But I went down some steep paths and I enjoyed it..
so I guess gravel paths and of course wooded trails is what I am looking at-down and up hill.
No jumps for now.
You may wanna check out the product reviews section
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_124973.shtml

For what you're riding, it'll serve you well for years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're comfortable on it, and its getting you out riding, then its a great bike!

A couple of things to think about -

* After a month or so, you might want to take it to a bike shop for a quick tune up.
* Its a solid bike and for the riding you describe, you'll be able to ride it for a long time! But, your components will likely start to wear before too long. Unfortunately, less expensive bikes tend to skimp on the component line. You'll get a good amount of life out of your current components, just something to be aware of. Its always fun to replace worn out parts with upgraded ones :thumbsup:
* As you get more comfortable riding, and start riding more difficult trails, you might start to think about an upgrade. Believe me, you'll KNOW when you're ready for that -- don't rush into a new bike if someone tells you that this one isn't 'good enough' for you.

That said, I bought an Avalance 2.0 (i think) for my sister a while ago and she really enjoies it. Its a strong, solid bike and its going to keep you happy for awhile! Enjoy!

·
2,250 Posts
corporatehippy said:
* After a month or so, you might want to take it to a bike shop for a quick tune up.
Hopefully that was included from the bike shop where purchased. Decent shops offer 1mo free tune up. Great shops offer up to a year.

* Its a solid bike and for the riding you describe, you'll be able to ride it for a long time! But, your components will likely start to wear before too long. Unfortunately, less expensive bikes tend to skimp on the component line.
Agree and disagree. The GT frame is a great base.
While the components may be on the lower end, I wouldn't say they're just gonna wear out before long. Wear wise, there's not much difference from low end to high end components.

Its always fun to replace worn out parts with upgraded ones :thumbsup:
My motto: Break 'em before they wear out. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys..Yes...bike shop offered tune up especially for the break system and all.
I intend to get good before any bike upgrade..
I already have gone pretty heavy for a 2nd day riding which was yesterday..(not heavy compared to most of you but pretty much where my girfriend on her GT 2.0 didn't want to follow..and a good thing she didn't.)

Again, Thanks for the tips and pointers guys...

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
FS rigs are nice but not essential for getting out and having a wickedly good time and remember there are those purists who ride rigid single speeds... they don't need no stinking suspension or deraileurs to have a blast on the trails.

My old Trek HT handles everything I throw at it, catches the occasional bit of air, and is a wonderful machine for XC and singletrack riding. GT makes a very solid bike and is certainly upgradeable or downgradeable if you find you want to go the SS route.

Many would like to sell you on the latest components but any mid range Shimano / SRAM setup should serve you pretty well until it breaks. I have an Acera rear deraileur (that replaced a worn out Deore) that refuses to quit and I haven't yet managed to break it.

The only breakage I've experienced in the past two years was a broken axle that happened during an amateur race a few weeks ago. It was probably on it's way out when I started the race but some big air and some massive hits (not my usual ride) probably fininished it off. Strangely enough, the rear skerwer held everything tightly together and I only discovered the breakage when I removed the back wheel a few days later.

I'd really lose the reflectors... they throw your wheel balance off and are probably gonna get toasted on the trails anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.