Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone of you ride with just lights on your bars? I got a Niterider Dual X2 for xmas and I'm stoked to do some nightriding. Just wanted some feedback from riders that use only bar lights. I want to avoid having to buy a helmet light if I can. Thx!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had not been using a headlamp but decided to make a simple 120 lumen one to see if it made a difference.
Went out this morning with just my 720 lumen triple P4 loads of light on the straights but boy did i miss my headlight when it got twisty.
I was so impressed with my little light that i am building a triple P4 for my head,sorry mate but i think a half decent headlamp is defo needed if you go off road in the dark.
Especially if you go anywhere twisty/rooty ect.
Tommo.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
You can definitely night ride with just a bar light and you can have a heck of a lot of fun doing it. You will probably be able to go faster with more light but if you are having fun now, then who really cares?

If you want to avoid buying a helmet light, look here for a ridiculously easy DIY project that is extremely cost effective. Also check out here and here for some torches that make fantastic helmet lights and don't cost the earth.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I hate things stuck to the top of my head and have had years of fun with just bar lights.

There are times when I would love to see around bends a bit better and if I hear a spooky sound to my side I can't just turn my head to see what it was.

But wires and stuff on my head drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Its a really good idea to have a secondary light somewhere so when the first suddenly goes out for whatever reason you don't kill yourself. A small light on the helmet is a big help during the ride too.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I think it needs to be pointed out that not too many people who spend their coin on a light for their helmet later say that they wasted their money...*unless of course the product they bought was Crap. In the last couple years there has been more than a handful of bike lights made for bar use that can output over 500-600 lumens. This is more than enough light for mountain biking as long as you slow down when going around tight turns. In my personally opinion though the night riding experience is always enhanced when using a helmet light in combo with a bar mounted light, not to mention the added safety factor.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Most definitely you can ride with only a bar mounted light, BUT, once you try the comobo of bar and helmet mounted lights you won't want to use only a bar light ;) Adding the helmet mounted light makes sure that you can see where ever you look, especially when going into corners when the bars aren't quite pointing into the corner yet.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
I use a 250 lumen torch on my helmet (18650 battery) and I swear I do not even know it is there when I am riding. If you want to go cheap and small, I would recommend the TR801 from DX. It will give you as much, if not more light than a NiteRide MiNewt and if mounted well (twofish mount or just old innertube peice and velcro strap) you also will not notice it is there, other then the extra light it provides (also, I must ditto the speed and safety factor with having a helmet light).
Still, there is some thrill and excitement with not knowing what made that noise in the woods or what is coming around that corner. I ride with someone who does not use a helmet light and because he knows the trails so well he does not feel the need for one...so to make a long story short (I know, too late) I would recommend one, but at the same time you may be fine without one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Bar lights only for me.

One of the reasons I turned to DIY was to build a light that enabled me to not have to use a helmet light. I don't like anything on the head when I ride. I don't like the two beams moving in and out of one another - too much shadow dancing. It is a point of personnal preference and you need to make your own decision. Bar only users are certainly in the minority. Anyway I use two light heads on the bars. First to gain separation not unlike your car. Second I use a combination of optics to allow both exceptional flood and depth of beam. Navigating tight corners is not a problem when the beam is +/- 25 degrees and you have over 1000 lumens. The two heads run off one 2400 mah battery.

The pic shows my old setup which is two 2xQ5, WC tint lint heads. The outside optics are +/- 25 degrees while the inside optics are +/- 7. On high I'm pushing over 800 lumens. I'm currently building a similiar setup but using MCE leds and will get over 2000 lumens.

Attachments

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
I started off riding with a 6W+12W halogen bar-mount system many moons ago, and it was years before I got a helmet light. Honestly, the most fun I ever had was switching off the 12W and riding singletrack with a feeble glow illuminating the next 10' of trail. Corners were always interesting, but it wouldn't be much of a challenge otherwise. :D

I picked up a HID helmet light a few years ago, and it was almost too easy. Most of the trails we night-ride on have straightaways no longer than 20m, so the 600 lumen output turned night into day. I felt like I was cheating or something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.