Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting my Alpine 650 together and had a question about the forks, Manitou Axel Elites. The manual references that the air forks require a shock pump. Is this required before I ride or just a generic statement.

Thanks

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
pressp said:
I just finished putting my Alpine 650 together and had a question about the forks, Manitou Axel Elites. The manual references that the air forks require a shock pump. Is this required before I ride or just a generic statement.

Thanks
They generally are shiped with the basic amount of air. You should get a pump to verify & check the air beffor every ride till you figure out how much bleeds out. You can order a pump from Ibex. :thumbsup:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/accessories_index.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just took it out for a quick run. However, when I started going fast (relatively speaking), it seemed like the forks were bobbing up and down. Is this a matter of not enough air, or do I need to upgrade the forks. I weigh about 190.

I also received sever black cylinders about an inch long with grooves on the interior and on one end of the exterior. What are these? I assume they're important.

thanks again for your help.

Press

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
pressp said:
Thanks. I just took it out for a quick run. However, when I started going fast (relatively speaking), it seemed like the forks were bobbing up and down. Is this a matter of not enough air, or do I need to upgrade the forks. I weigh about 190.

I also received sever black cylinders about an inch long with grooves on the interior and on one end of the exterior. What are these? I assume they're important.

thanks again for your help.

Press
Actually your fork does not have air so dont worry about the air pump. Most likley the spring needs to be replaced with a stiffer one, they come from the factory with what they call the average weight spring, hahahaha ya right. You might want to look into the TPC lock-out optional part with a spring swap. You will get alot of bob on the street where the trail you are seated & peadling smoother, you will probibly find you need the optional parts though. I weight 185 & have a Manitou Black fork with TPC & the lock out, i have the same spring problem, need to get the heaver spring also although the lock out is a compression adjuster also so i have a little crutch to work with.

The extra black pieces sound like plugs for the V-brake post if removed from the fork. :thumbsup:

http://www.answerproducts.com/items.asp?deptid=30&itemid=112

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Firmer springs

dogonfr said:
Actually your fork does not have air so dont worry about the air pump. Most likley the spring needs to be replaced with a stiffer one, they come from the factory with what they call the average weight spring, hahahaha ya right. http://www.answerproducts.com/items.asp?deptid=30&itemid=112
Definitely look into getting firmer springs. Just keep in mind what dogonfr said about the bobbing. If you stoill feel the fork is not performing well after the spring change, then perhaps you might want to upgrade. Give it time first before you upgrade.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.