Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another ride @ the southern edge of the Northern California board. Here's a few pictures from today's "Fossil Follies with JMS and Slocaus". Basically the reverse of Sunday's ride - a more cardiac friendly version [all the fun with half the vomiting:thumbsup: ].
Hopefully, Slocaus will chip in with all the stats from his little techno marvel, with elevation gain and loss, mileage and all that nonsense. All I know is that it pegs my "Funmeter".
Climbing from Stenner Creek to the rairoad grade and traversing over to Stagecoach Rd., we cruised along taking in the changing leaf color, wildlife and San Luis Obispo around and below us. At the top of Cuesta Grade we veered up and to the left along the ridge. Ice on the puddles and frost on the ground could be found in the shade.
Alternately, rising and falling across the top of the ridge, we looked down toward Atascadero and out to the ocean and Morro Bay in one direction, and the Oceano Dunes in the other. Unlike Sunday's ride, the Sierra's weren't visible.
At Powerlines, we descended and I realized how steep that road is - up or down. At the entrance to the singletrack, Slocaus and I looked back up toward the ridge and wondered how we'd [and why!]climbed that on Sunday. The trails back are as fun, and nearly as energy sapping, descending as climbing.
We popped out onto Highway 1 in the late afternoon and were gently nudged along back to my truck parked a couple miles closer to town. Content, tired and in Slocaus' case - bleeding, we tossed the bikes into the bed of my truck, and made our way into town for a couple great cups of coffee [Thank You Reese!] and pastries at "Outspoken". Just another ride around the southern edge of the Norcal board: My new home. I think I'll call it paradise.:)

Attachments

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
We covered a little more ground than Sunday, albeit, easier in this direction.

34.64 mi (15.32 mi uphill, 13.40 mi downhill, 5.82 mi flat)
4422 ft total ascent, 6:30:23 total time

Did not get many photos following the "carrot".

But gawd, I had fun, even the tip over in the rocks at the stream crossing that drew blood. :rolleyes:
And the smacking into the manzanita while gawking at the views. :blush:

·
singletrack bound
3,064 Posts
Jms

where.....Just exactly IS the Nor cal, SO cal boundry lie? I think we should have Francis clarify this!
Good to see you riding new turf.....looks like alot on climbing action going on there.:eek:
We got 4.5 hrs in last night up here.
Tone.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Tone No Balone said:
where.....Just exactly IS the Nor cal, SO cal boundry lie? I think we should have Francis clarify this!
Good to see you riding new turf.....looks like alot on climbing action going on there.:eek:
Tone.
Living in Santa Barbara in the early 80s, the obvious cultural boundary between NorCal and SoCal was the Santa Barbara/Ventura county line. Moved to SLO in 90, since it was creeping northward (LA suburb basically in SB). So the boundary is somewhere between Santa Maria (LA style gangs and murders a plenty, mini malls, yucko) and San Luis Obispo now.

Here is the ride profile. The steep drop at just under 25 miles is not a cliff; it is a steep canyon running eastward with lots of tree cover and the gps has trouble keeping reception on the descent.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
beaverbiker said:
you went down powerlines? you should have gone down what trail.
I missed nine months of riding due to my January crash, broken bones, knee hemotoma, and the bout with MRSA infection; after pushing/dragging my bike up that rock pile last week, this old phart elected to avoid it for the time being. It is on the future agenda. ;)

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
slocaus said:
Living in Santa Barbara in the early 80s, the obvious cultural boundary between NorCal and SoCal was the Santa Barbara/Ventura county line. Moved to SLO in 90, since it was creeping northward (LA suburb basically in SB). So the boundary is somewhere between Santa Maria (LA style gangs and murders a plenty, mini malls, yucko) and San Luis Obispo now.
Plenty of nasty stuff in SLO too now a days. I think LA/socal starts South of Steiner Creek road:eekster:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Tone No Balone said:
Tone.
Personally, I think when you drive south through Big Sur and come out around Morro Bay you've reached the very beginning of Southern California. You could probably argue that it's really neither(which keeps it what it is). To me the change in the landscape makes SLO SoCal, but hey... NorCal, SoCal or SLOCal...whatever it is, it's an amazing place. I wonder why it's not more of a destination for "Norcal" mtb riders.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
I wonder why it's not more of a destination for "Norcal" mtb riders.
Winter time sure is sweet here especially the sandy trails are finest in the rainy season. But in summer for the same drive Tahoe/Sierras are way better choice for nocals. Plus summer its foggy/windy 50's, no views but hard to overheat:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts