Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all the stuff you see in the first shot was GIVEN to me by a good friend who found out I was in search of Campy OR parts for my first Ibis frame, which has been lying around unbuilt for about a year now. He used to own his own shop back in the day, and while it doesn't surprise me when he builds a bike because he found ANOTHER King headset in a drawer, this one topped them all for me. Here's how a conversation over some drinks a month or so ago went.

me "I'm looking to build my old Ibis up again, but with Campy off road stuff. It's gonna take a long time to find everything, and it's gonna cost me a small fortune."

him "dude, my old Kestrel had full Campy on it. I still have the parts lying around my basement. You can HAVE them, just to get them out of my basement."

me "........(insert blank stare of disbelief here)......really????"

him "they're not doing me any good, so if you can get some joy from them, they're yours"

The first pic is everything I got, minus some bullet shifters I have no intention of using. That's a Fisher Bulge Bar along with everything else in there.

More to follow:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics:

I don't have a bottom bracket (anyone know what size I can use? 68mm shell? I know I can't use a Shimano, so I need to find a Campy. Are any new Campy BB's long enough to use?

The front derailleur is also the wrong size, so for now I'm going to use a period XT piece. I'm considering getting a new triple Campy F der. Can anyone think of why this wouldn't work?

The pics below are of what I'm using to complete the build. Those are NOS hubs, either Athena or Veloce, I'm not sure which. XT 7sp thumbies, Salsa stem, and a Bontrager C20 saddle (I have the ti saddle, but it's currently being used on my road bike, as is the original purple anodized King headset from this frame. Still not sure what I'm going to do for a headset. I'm lacing the rims to NOS Thorr rims, 36 spoke, 14/15 DT spokes, and a new 8sp 12-26 Campy cassette and chain from QBP. I also have a pic of the frame it's all going on, with the original Syncros post. Oh, the fork is just a black Tange rigid, nothing special, and pedals and tires will most likely be current stuff. I plan on riding this bike, after all :)

So yeah, any help/advice on my bottom bracket/front derailleur issues would be most appreciated. Enjoy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WTB-rider said:
Wow! :thumbsup:

You're one lucky mofo. That kind of gift is worthy of your first born or at least a bottle of 30 year old scotch!
No kidding. You should see some of the stuff he still has. He's moved beyond this sport (sadly), but he still has a TON of stuff left over, mostly early 90's, lots of machined and anodized bits.

·
artistic...
7,621 Posts
is this tye SS you mentioned on another thread? i love that blue. what fork is it going there? koski?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
colker1 said:
is this tye SS you mentioned on another thread? i love that blue. what fork is it going there? koski?
Yes, this is the bike from the other thread. The color is actually Fester Purple, not blue. I guess that pic doesn't do it justice. I'm just putting a gloss black Tange fork on, since it's what I have. Here's another picture of the bike with a different build configuration, but it shows the fork:

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Niiiice. Gotta love it when choice parts fall into your lap.

Even though average prices of vintage mtb parts is on the rise, it's still really nice to land the super score.

Looking forward to the finished product.

This'll be a rider right?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rumpfy said:
Niiiice. Gotta love it when choice parts fall into your lap.

Even though average prices of vintage mtb parts is on the rise, it's still really nice to land the super score.

Looking forward to the finished product.

This'll be a rider right?
Absolutely. That's why I'm not worried about the imperfections in the frame and other misc parts which will be on it. My goal is to have it rideable by the end of this month for the Chicago LATE ride. I've ridden this bike in damn near every LATE ride since the mid 90's. I've literally built this frame up a day before the ride, then disassembled it two days later and hung the frame back on the wall. The only problem is I have storage for four bikes. This makes six in rideable condition :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
richieb said:
I think the Campy front derailleur you have there is an adjustable band clap...I could be wrong, though...
Initially I thought that as well because of that band in the clamp. I don't see a way to change that, and the profile of the other two pieces seems as though it would not conform to the frame even if that band was shorter.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So does anyone have any ideas as to which parts I have?

Also, anyone have any ideas on what legnth spindle I need to get these cranks on?

And I forgot to ask if anyone knows if other canti hardware will work in here? I'm missing three of the four dust plates on the back of the brake arms, as well as one spring. Thanks!

·
artistic...
7,621 Posts
RickD. said:
Absolutely. That's why I'm not worried about the imperfections in the frame and other misc parts which will be on it. My goal is to have it rideable by the end of this month for the Chicago LATE ride. I've ridden this bike in damn near every LATE ride since the mid 90's. I've literally built this frame up a day before the ride, then disassembled it two days later and hung the frame back on the wall. The only problem is I have storage for four bikes. This makes six in rideable condition :D
i love vintage classics as daily riders.. nothing wrong w/ the tange fork! as long as the geometry is preserved it's cool. i have chills when i see classic frames set w/ forks that mess all the angles.
otoh it does look a bit small for your legs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
colker1 said:
i have chills when i see classic frames set w/ forks that add 2 in of travel and mess all the angles.
Agreed. I have a friend who put an 80mm Marzocchi on a early Bonty, and it breaks my heart to know that bike handles like a chopper now. Sadly/luckily, he never really rides it.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Campy MTB Parts

To be correct none of those parts are O.R. That was only attatched to the Record line to distinguish it from the road group.

That looks to be a full Centaur group.

The f derailleur is adjustable. You press the pins out and can change out a piece of the clamp. What size do you need it to be? 28mm? or 32mm? I'm pretty sure I have some of those clamp pieces still. A current Campy triple would work fine, double probably would too. I'd suggest trying to find a Racing-T model. They are almost identical to the MTB derailleurs.

As far as I know other springs and dust caps should fit. I don;t have access to my similar set of brakes or I'd check for you but I'm pretty sure the stuff from a DiaCompe 986 ot 987 would work.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shayne said:
To be correct none of those parts are O.R. That was only attatched to the Record line to distinguish it from the road group.

That looks to be a full Centaur group.

The f derailleur is adjustable. You press the pins out and can change out a piece of the clamp. What size do you need it to be? 28mm? or 32mm? I'm pretty sure I have some of those clamp pieces still. A current Campy triple would work fine, double probably would too. I'd suggest trying to find a Racing-T model. They are almost identical to the MTB derailleurs.

As far as I know other springs and dust caps should fit. I don;t have access to my similar set of brakes or I'd check for you but I'm pretty sure the stuff from a DiaCompe 986 ot 987 would work.
Awesome, thanks for all that info. That really helps.

It needs to be a 32mm front, and if you have that piece contact me and let's work something out :) And the shop I used to work at has a huge drawer of brake parts. I just need to get in there and dig through their parts drawers (if they'll still let me, that is).

Any idea on the BB spindle?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Woops, Forgot The BB Question..

I've got an italian threaded BB that I'd give you but obviously that wont work.

That crank should use either a ~125mm or ~130mm spindle depending on chainline
Basically the longest Campy spindle you can find. I don't know if Phil makes 'em that big anymore. If you're patient those older long spindle BBs pop up on eBay from time to time.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-CENT...7QQihZ005QQcategoryZ56193QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Contact this guy, its the matching BB :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
This place needs an enema
16,935 Posts
RickD. said:
Initially I thought that as well because of that band in the clamp. I don't see a way to change that, and the profile of the other two pieces seems as though it would not conform to the frame even if that band was shorter.
I modded one of those by re-drilling the hole in a different spot in the clamp. Pressed out the pin, pressed it into the new hole. Works great. Hated to do it in theory, but it allowed me to keep using the der even after all of my bikes had gone to 32 or 35mm ST's.

MC

·