Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a '98 Rock Hopper with an Advent X groupset for a conversion.

I ordered the SRAM SX crankset that's on sale from PlanetCyclery right now, but it runs a Power Spline bb. I ordered the 108mm bottom bracket, because that's whats closest to what's currently on the bike, but I just noticed SRAM's website casually mentions to use the 118mm Power Spline with the SX.

Does anybody know if I'll be able to use the 108mm bb? If not, will I have issues running a 10mm wider spindle on my Rock Hopper?

Basically I know nothing about 1x chainlines...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sram suggest the 118mm Powerspline to achieve a good chainline to go with Sram Eagle 12speed set ups which require the chainring to be 5mm further out (offset) compared to older 7,8 and 9 speed drivetrains.

You will be okay with the narrower 108mm spindle length as your 1x10 drivetrain generally only needs an extra 1mm offset. This is basically to avoid the chain rubbing on the next biggest cog on the high gears/smallest cassette cogs.

I assume you have a non Boost qr frame so your ideal chainline with 1x10 is around 45mm but not that critical to be exact so give or take a couple of mm's won't be a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.