Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two wheels, one love...
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recieved my full-on SRAM setup to build my Marin Wolf Ridge frame up, and encountered this little problem. Apparently the X.Gen front derailler is a really, really tall system in terms of where it sits upon the seat tube. Well my wonderful linkage sits squarely in the way of it... and note that the ring I have on my crankset in the picture is a 22/32 (no big ring installed) and it STILL won't clear it!

I had dreams of a no-Shimano drivetrain... *sigh*

-Rob

--ps: Anyone want to trade a Shimano XT for a new-in-the-box X.Gen? :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Two wheels, one love...
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figures...

Strafer said:
Yup, I went through this with my Wolf Ridge when I built it a few weeks ago.
Ended up using XT instead.
Just my luck to buy the wrong one without asking around first. See where assumption got me? I'm actually planning on running mine as a 2x8 (retro, baby!) and when I bolted my old LX on there, it wouldn't go low enough to get near the 34T ring... I was close to turning the whole mess into a full-suspension scooter, but I guess I'll just pick up the XT now.

Is there a specific pull/ type of XT I should be looking for? And incidentally, how's your Wolf Ridge ride? I haven't gotten a chance to throw a leg over one just yet. Thanks...

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
I'll send you a front derailler.

mtb-rob said:
Just recieved my full-on SRAM setup to build my Marin Wolf Ridge frame up, and encountered this little problem. Apparently the X.Gen front derailler is a really, really tall system in terms of where it sits upon the seat tube. Well my wonderful linkage sits squarely in the way of it... and note that the ring I have on my crankset in the picture is a 22/32 (no big ring installed) and it STILL won't clear it!

I had dreams of a no-Shimano drivetrain... *sigh*

-Rob

--ps: Anyone want to trade a Shimano XT for a new-in-the-box X.Gen? :rolleyes:
I've got mixture of new and barely used front deraillers sitting around from a new deore to XT's . let me know what size and pull. Also, if you need top swing or bottom swing. I can dig out a front derailler for you - if I have one that will fit.

REEK

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
mtb-rob said:
Just my luck to buy the wrong one without asking around first. See where assumption got me? I'm actually planning on running mine as a 2x8 (retro, baby!) and when I bolted my old LX on there, it wouldn't go low enough to get near the 34T ring... I was close to turning the whole mess into a full-suspension scooter, but I guess I'll just pick up the XT now.

Is there a specific pull/ type of XT I should be looking for? And incidentally, how's your Wolf Ridge ride? I haven't gotten a chance to throw a leg over one just yet. Thanks...
It's low clamp bottom pull, but the XT can be used either top or bottom pull.
Mines kinda set up heavy with Pike forks and Sun SingleTrack/Marzocchi 20mm hub and 2.5 TrailBear front tire, so it's not snappy on uphills.
I've only been riding in 6 inch setting, and rock gardens are alot more fun now!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in the same boat w/my 04 Stumpy FSR. SRAM replied to my inquire abou this, saying it will be making an X Gen Top Swing front derailleur for the 2006 line and should be out fall/winter 2005.

Dave

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
I was actually only giving away the fronts

Kona0197 said:
Reek - Do you have any plain jane rear Deore 9-speed derailluers?
I was only offering to give away the fronts but I do have a few new rear LX deraillers. I'll pm you

REEK

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Pretty common problem on plenty of FS frames due to the linkages and weird tube shapes. It won't work on most VPP bikes, interrupted seatpost designs or any frame with low suspension pivots such as the Racer X. Sram neglected to factor in that most frames are now designed around top swing derrailleurs. They said they designed the X-Gen with a considerably lower stack height than shimano's bottom swing to compensate but that obviously didn't work out too well. They will now be offering their own top swing model next year.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Sorry if i'm hi-jacking the thread. =p I'm looking to upgrade the front deraillure on my 04 Giant Yukon.. it's Shimano Acera that looks like it camps to the bottom bracket. I have Deore rear with 8speed casette that works ok I suppose... even though sometimes there are delay in shifting.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could upgrade to the Sram X-Gen on the front and still use my stock shimano shifters? and will it work with my rear configuration?

Is the Sram deralliures alot better then shimanos? Or should I just pick up a cheap front shimano deore or something? I think I have top pull (cable comming from the top) but not sure what top/bottom swing mean. hehe.

REEK, if you are feeling generous and want to help a newbie out, I'm sure I can put one of your front deraillures to use. =)

Thanks much.

Phil.

·
Dude!
132 Posts
I too was looking for the non-shimano bike...and thought my S-Works Epic would be free of the XT FD. My seat tube has welds on the point where the XGen would go and thus, thwarted my attempt at having a non-shimano bike. ARRGGGGG!!! Where did my XT FD go now?

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
I don't see the point in having a non-Shimano bike when Shimano has proven itself as a good componet company. Also wanted to point out that Shimano is cheaper...

·
Two wheels, one love...
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kona0197 said:
I don't see the point in having a non-Shimano bike when Shimano has proven itself as a good componet company. Also wanted to point out that Shimano is cheaper...
Like anything in life... why not? Why buy that custom Independent Fabrications steel hardtail when a 10 year old Bontrager frame would probably feel the same? People like to be different, but sometimes it bites them in the a$$ like with this issue.

And to be honest with you, I've never had a problem with Shimano stuff. Been running an XTR rapidrise on my Stumpjumper with an LX front for nearly 10 years without so much as a hiccup. I bought a SRAM 9.0SL rear derailler for my Racer-X, thing broke in half on my third ride (back when they had the krylon-plastic knuckle thing), but still I wanted to give the little guys from the US a chance. It's that 'sticking it to the corporate monster' mentality that always gets me in trouble.

Well now I noticed that my X.9 rear derailler (brand spanky new) seems to have play at the pivot... don't know if its normal or not, but that trail-beaten XTR/ LX combo isn't looking so bad anymore.

Just my $ .02

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
mtb-rob said:
Well now I noticed that my X.9 rear derailler (brand spanky new) seems to have play at the pivot... don't know if its normal or not, but that trail-beaten XTR/ LX combo isn't looking so bad anymore.

Just my $ .02
My X9 rear mech had plenty of play in the mounting pivot from new (I assume that's where you mean). I was a little concerned when I noticed this during fitment, but it works exceptionally well. No adjustment required in 6 months riding and it never misses a gear going up or down! I've just fitted one on my wife's bike and that was the same. I assume it's designed to have this play in the pivot. The only weakness is the jockey wheels. They both seized up after a few muddy winter rides. I stripped and re-packed them with grease and they are fine again. Not a big deal really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.