Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding my bonnie race-lite. I bought it in 1994. I am assuming that it is a '93 because it was on sale at quite a reduction ($2850 original price, and the sale price was $2000). The seat stays are not tapered, but rather two piece. What I'm wondering is if this bike can accept a rigid fork well and what kinds are acceptable. I'd be hard pressed to find an original bontrager fork, so any style is fine with me, I just don't know much about rigids, as I've always had suspension in the front. Please let me know.

Mario Piper

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Hi Mario,

unless you have a 'rigid' geo, there are some things to consider, installing a rigid in your bonty. Bonty's are build pretty steep, sharp handling. I would not drop the front end too far below it is now with the suspension fork. The 'rigid' Bontrager's need a fork with an height (axle-crown) of 385-395. The suspension modells will need one in the range of 415-420 I recon, so the steering wont get too sketchy. Ritchey made some very fine sleek looking 1" forks that were compensated for a suspension fork in this range. They are pretty hard to find, but I know they're there. Else you could obt for a fork from Hunter, Vicious, Kelly, etc. A straightbladed, taperd unicrown would be nice on a Bontrager.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what is my bontrager?

Jeroen said:
Hi Mario,

unless you have a 'rigid' geo, there are some things to consider, installing a rigid in your bonty. Bonty's are build pretty steep, sharp handling. I would not drop the front end too far below it is now with the suspension fork. The 'rigid' Bontrager's need a fork with an height (axle-crown) of 385-395. The suspension modells will need one in the range of 415-420 I recon, so the steering wont get too sketchy. Ritchey made some very fine sleek looking 1" forks that were compensated for a suspension fork in this range. They are pretty hard to find, but I know they're there. Else you could obt for a fork from Hunter, Vicious, Kelly, etc. A straightbladed, taperd unicrown would be nice on a Bontrager.
I thank you for your reply, and just have one question...is my bonnie a rigid frame for one adjusted for suspension. As I wrote before, it is from at least as far back as '94, but maybe before. Can you help me in that regard, meaning knowing what the bike is built fer? Thanks!!!

Mario Piper

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
steely steed said:
I thank you for your reply, and just have one question...is my bonnie a rigid frame for one adjusted for suspension. As I wrote before, it is from at least as far back as '94, but maybe before. Can you help me in that regard, meaning knowing what the bike is built fer? Thanks!!!

Mario Piper
What did your bike come with stock? Did you buy it with a suspension fork? which fork? did it come with a judy with a black bolt-on crown? maybe post some pics and as many details as possible as far as history. Its hard to tell.

Will

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what my bontrager came w/ (for Williwoods)

Williwoods said:
What did your bike come with stock? Did you buy it with a suspension fork? which fork? did it come with a judy with a black bolt-on crown? maybe post some pics and as many details as possible as far as history. Its hard to tell.

Will
Thank you for replying. It right now has a Judy XC from '96 with a black bolt on crown (I believe it to be a bontrager crown). It came with a Mag 21 though, with the same crown, which I had switched to the Judy. The picture is on the thread entitled "my bike..." from 4-5 days ago. I could try to send a close up of the crown and fork, but My camera is in California with my mums in law for two weeks. Anyway, hope that helps out.

Mario Piper

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
steely steed said:
Thank you for replying. It right now has a Judy XC from '96 with a black bolt on crown (I believe it to be a bontrager crown). It came with a Mag 21 though, with the same crown, which I had switched to the Judy. The picture is on the thread entitled "my bike..." from 4-5 days ago. I could try to send a close up of the crown and fork, but My camera is in California with my mums in law for two weeks. Anyway, hope that helps out.

Mario Piper
did u buy the bike new or used? mag21 crowns were not compatible with judy forks right? does your bike have the bottom pull der cable routing with a roller for the frt der? Sounds like you might have a suspension corrected frame from 93-94 same as mine they were designed for a 63mm travel RS fork either a mag 21 or judy, 1.25 for rake in the crown. If I had the $$ I would get someone to make me a rigid frok that matches this criteria. For a sus-fork I am using a 04 mx comp coil that i got for $160 on ebay brand new. Its the best bang for the buck fork ever, also the last 1" fork out there still being made.

Will

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Both models (suspended and rigid) were available simultanious at some time. I have some details somewhere on my harddrive ... somewhere...

The rigid versions had a slightly taller headtube length and toptube length... But I hear you ask, what are those measures for both models? ;-)

Floibex is a Bontrager expert in this regard, you could try to ask him... I think he doesn't pop in in this forum that often lately....

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Jeroen said:
The rigid versions had a slightly taller headtube length and toptube length... But I hear you ask, what are those measures for both models? ;-)
I was thinking the only difference was the top tube length - the rigid bike was a little longer.

Both frames were offered at the same time. The difference betwenn a 50mm travel suspension fork and the rigid models are not enough that I think it makes that much of a difference (you'll find as much variation going from a RockShox to a Manitou or Marzocchi). Put the fork that you want on there and ride. Either way the bike will ride great.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have a Tange rigid on my 1994 Race

used for commuting. I had to put a few spacers under the t-less stem to get it as high at the old 1997 RS Judy that was on there b/f. It has a very short crown to axle length & would be too steep for trails & off road. I'd recommend a nice one from Vicious, etc. I'd be curious what you get. Great frame!

·
clueless
436 Posts
... to determine if it is a rigid or suspension corrected frame just measure the bottom braket height (center to ground) of your bike.

if you have a bottom bracket height of about 11.75" (2.1 tires, mag21 or 60mm judy's) it is a suspension corrected frame, if it's more to 12.5" or even 13" it seems to be a non suspended frame. to clarify this, put a rigid fork in place of the suspension fork, the bb height should be now nearly 11.75".

ciao
flo

Attachments

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Just put whatever you have on the front of the bike that you can hang brakes, stem/bar/controls, and a wheel onto, and ride the dang thing. If you like it, it'll be OK no matter what its theoretcical design parameter is. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.