Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Hercules raod frame that I use as a commuter that I think is made of just high tensile steel. It had a Sram S7 internal gear hub that is toast I am now running it SS. My commute climbs to much for me to SS in the winter with limited traction. I would like to put shifter braze on to attach cable stops to so I can rum barcons and derailleurs my question is:

Can is just tack weld the shifter brazeons with my MIG I was thinking just 4 small tacks one on each side,being that is is not supporting any real load and is not structural and this steel is not exactly thin guage I cannot think of any reason not to.

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no rod and I really don't want to buy it for this small of a job...I will agee braizing is best...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doable: yes.
Advised: no.

How good is your MIG machine, does it have good voltage control? You'd only need a tiny bit of brazing rod to sweat them on, maybe you can find a way around buying a whole bunch of rod.

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was considering full housing, but to the front it might be a bit trickey...the easy way would be problem solvers..but that would just not be as much fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.