Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just noticed that I have the 5 (now 6) most recent posts in here. I'm not trying to spam up the board or anything.

For those that don't know who I am, I do work at a dealer, Go-Ride.com, in Salt Lake City. However, we carry about half of the boutique American brands of frames so I have a pretty good idea of how most of the high end bikes ride from Ventana, Foes, Turner, Yeti, and Iron Horse, have other manufacturers hounding us to pick them up (names that rhyme with shmintense and shmelsworth, for starters) as well as several other frame manufacturers (whether we sell them or not). We also ride a lot of different suspension setups, brakes, tires, bars, cranks, etc. For those of you familiar with DH racing, you know that having the right setup on your bike can be the difference between winning and mid-pack, even if it only affects your race time by 4 seconds. Between racing DH and riding a lot, most of the guys here have a pretty good handle on what works and what does not.

Anyway, like I said, this isn't supposed to be spam. We sponsor the board, so technically I can't really get in trouble for spamming things up ;), but that's not what we try to do. We have been putting a lot of our effort into the DH board for a long time, but I think we can help some of the people on this board with questions as well. Even if you're not going to buy a bike from us, I am happy to answer questions about basic suspension design, brakes, tires, geometry, etc.

So, long story short, I am here to help, if there are people who feel like I'm trying to make a quick buck, we're actually paying for this board already, so take what I say as you will. We try to give back, and if you ask around on the DH board I'm a pretty honest guy that tries to give straight answers.

See you around, and happy posting!

James Peterson
IT guy / Internet Nerd
[email protected]

· There's no app for this.
5,368 Posts
Spam!!!!

J/K James. j/k

Hey... you know your stuff. I'm overheating on a new Schmolly and Dainese safety jacket (bare skin to jacket, plus an over jersey only) on the shore in temps you guys find cold (m maybe 40-50F and rainy) Many of us rip off helmets for relief,even in winter at around 35F+

What thoughts have you on a cooler FF helmet that might not cost us Cannuuckianns a car payment or 2?

Thanks, No rush.

BTW most are with Mad Max or Bell FF.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've had good luck with the Vigor Vamoose II, they are well vented and don't weigh too much (we have weight comparisons at http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_lidchart.html). The composite version is well priced.

We also just picked up Giro, I don't have any time in one yet but we have heard only good things about them as well, otherwise we wouldn't have brought them in.

· There's no app for this.
5,368 Posts
thanks, James

noted. I'll pass around your suggestions. GIROs work very, very well, it's just the heat inside, but I suspect many do that.Something about being slightly overweight, a 50lb bike, 20lb of gear, and a ton of armour. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Jim

· Banned
10,899 Posts
JimC. said:
noted. I'll pass around your suggestions. GIROs work very, very well, it's just the heat inside, but I suspect many do that.Something about being slightly overweight, a 50lb bike, 20lb of gear, and a ton of armour. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Jim
nope. it's the Schmolly. ;)

and to James... you and the whole gang at Go-Ride have my unqualified support and encouragement. you guys are fairminded and helpful in here, and on the phone. one day when I am going past SLC I'll have to stop in.

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
gonzostrike said:
and to James... you and the whole gang at Go-Ride have my unqualified support and encouragement. you guys are fairminded and helpful in here, and on the phone. one day when I am going past SLC I'll have to stop in.
Pretty much the only guys who have never flamed on the DH board. Way to go guys!

The Go-Ride crew straight rocks. I called and ordered some stuff and they were awesome on the phone and i can't wait to stop by when i pass through SLC for the Brianhead and Deer Valley Nats.

James, do you guys sell DT rims? Specifically the new 6.1d FR rim.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have been looking into it, but right now we have such a comprehensive line of rims to choose from, with a good amount of existing overlap, that I don't think we'll bring them in. So far we've heard good stuff about the DT rims but so few people have put serious time on them that we're hesitant to get to DT's buy-in level, especially since they are so close to Mavic stuff in pricing and quality.

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
James @ Go-Ride said:
We have been looking into it, but right now we have such a comprehensive line of rims to choose from, with a good amount of existing overlap, that I don't think we'll bring them in. So far we've heard good stuff about the DT rims but so few people have put serious time on them that we're hesitant to get to DT's buy-in level, especially since they are so close to Mavic stuff in pricing and quality.
Yea, i agree, Mavic stuff rocks. Either way i'll be getting some new wheels from you guys soon. You guys need to sponsor me though, high-end bike parts get expensive when you enjoy thrashing things. ;)

· Feeding your addiction
2,645 Posts
James @ Go-Ride said:
BTI and QBP both carry them, so there's no need to meet any buy-in level to try them out. I'd highly recommend them. I've built hundreds of wheels with their XC rims, and several sets of the 6.1's, and they are superb. Best quality on the market, even better than Mavic but without the B.S.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

· Registered
1,653 Posts
NOT spam

Its not spam if you guys are honestly helping people out. Just like Larry, you guys care about the mtb community, and its a rule we live by as well. We've forwarded people to Larry and Go-ride, if we don't have something in stock, just knowing that one of you two will have it, and get the guy or gal, on the right bike. Spam is just that, spam, and everyone can recognize it. Big difference with the service that you guys provide.

· SNGLSPD
1,053 Posts
DT Swiss

Ventanarama said:
I'd highly recommend them. I've built hundreds of wheels with their XC rims, and several sets of the 6.1's, and they are superb. Best quality on the market, even better than Mavic but without the B.S.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
I will second that.The freeride rims/hubs are as solid as the XC stuff.I find their wheels build up a lot easier than Mavics,They are also in western Colorado so it's nice to support a local company as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.