Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted t' ride today, but I worked until 5:00 a.m. (locked myself out of a place I clean so it took me 6 hours to get in). It is hot and humid, oppressively so. Yet my bonty and I went fer a ride today. I singlespeeded it for the first time. Legs hurt, heart beating, but I made it, oh not without walking parts, but I have to do that anyway, cause I'm not a "real" mountain biker, yes, I have to walk it sometimes. Anyway, I had a good time on the trails here in Randolph, VT. 'Twas a good time. By the way, we've got some mud here and I'm always afraid of goin' through it (steel frame issues), but theres not too much of a choice. When I get home, what is the best way to clean it off. I know I should know this, but I don't. Should I lightly spray it, or use a wet cloth?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
steel is real said:
I wanted t' ride today, but I worked until 5:00 a.m. (locked myself out of a place I clean so it took me 6 hours to get in). It is hot and humid, oppressively so. Yet my bonty and I went fer a ride today. I singlespeeded it for the first time. Legs hurt, heart beating, but I made it, oh not without walking parts, but I have to do that anyway, cause I'm not a "real" mountain biker, yes, I have to walk it sometimes. Anyway, I had a good time on the trails here in Randolph, VT. 'Twas a good time. By the way, we've got some mud here and I'm always afraid of goin' through it (steel frame issues), but theres not too much of a choice. When I get home, what is the best way to clean it off. I know I should know this, but I don't. Should I lightly spray it, or use a wet cloth?
Good to hear SIR. Nothing like a single speed to make those old trails feel like new ones again.
I remember when I started riding SS. I thought I was in good shape, but it really kicked my ass. It's a different kind of riding and will put you in good shape real quick.

Call me lazy, I just lightly hose off and use a towel to dry. Re grease and/or lube as needed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
*Once the rinse is complete apply the Simple Green or other biodegradable degreaser to the drivetrain. Be sure you get the back of the chainrings and the cogs as well as the chain. It is a good idea to degrease the rear wheel and the rear brake also as these pick up lubricant residue from the drivetrain. After you apply the degreaser it is a good idea to let it soak for a few minutes to dissolve lubricant residue.*

I always wash my ride after a trail ride. I rotate riding my bikes so it'll take sometime before it is ridden again. I'd rather it sits in the garage looking clean than full of muck. Anyway, I also use simple green (diluted 50/50 water) and a brush for the chain and cogs. I noticed after sitting for a while (2 weeks) not ridden, the first few pedals fails to engage the locking mechanisms on the rear feehub. This happens with 3 (mountain) bikes. My suspicion is the degreaser finds its way inside the freehub and messes up the mechanism. Anyone experience this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.