Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem on my 2006 Jamis XLT this past summer with 80 miles on it. No matter what I tried I couldn't stop the creak of the cranks so I took it to the dealer and when he tried to remove the crank (drive side) he found the plastic tube inside the bottom bracket to be cracked, split and basically junk. Sram said they knew of the problems with the Giga-X bottom brackets and they sent my dealer a new one, which he installed and everything was fine. Three weeks ago it started creaking really bad while my wife and I were riding in City Park. I tried to remove the drive side cranks to grease everything and it wouldn't budge, back to the dealer. At 166 miles, it seems that the "permanent" press of the crank arm onto the axle was loose and a couple of the splines were even chipped. So far we've had no response from Jamis or Sram in order to get a replacement crankset so I just had the LBS order and install a Shimano LX set with bottom bracket, can't wait to get the bike back this weekend, maybe it will finally be trust worthy. My LBS tells me that Truvativ/Sram is very slow and very difficult to acquire warranty replacement parts from these days.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? By the way, this "mountain bike" has never had its wheels leave the ground and has never been on anything more difficult than a mild trail. I am sixty years old, overweight (since I stopped smoking), and took up biking to help get in shape, not to tear up my body or bike. Throughout my life I've owned bikes, nothing ever this expensive, and I have never given a crankset a second thought, they always seemed to just last forever, what happened?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
You just got a Lemon

I've run Truvativ stuff for 5 years and had only one BB fail (bearings) prematurely. It took about a month but not only was it warrantied, but the replacement was an upgrade. I used to be a warranty manager (2002-2003) for a couple of shops, and never had any real issues with SRAM...but that was before they went on their shopping spree (buying several companies, including Truvativ). 75% of bikeshop employees talk out their arses (I know, I worked with them for 8 years, but I always tried to be strait with people) so maybe he's just saying SRAM is slow to get you off his case. Whatever the case, you might have just had a string of bad luck...hope your LX cranks treat you better.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
<<so maybe he's just saying SRAM is slow to get you off his case>>

This is very likely the case. I have warrantied many low end SRAM SX4 shifters lately and the people there have been responsive and fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone noticed that there is hardly any SRAM gear on any of the 07 Jamis'. I have heard of issues with Truvativ cranks before.
With nearly everything changed to Shimano gear on the 07 bikes maybe there was an issue with SRAM.

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
I had a Truvativ bb fail on my Jamis less than a year after purchasing the bike. I replaced it with one from American Classic and have had great results. The cranks seem to be holding up fine but new part lust has me wanting a new set of Stylo 2.2 AM.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Not Likely

jaseh said:
Has anyone noticed that there is hardly any SRAM gear on any of the 07 Jamis'. I have heard of issues with Truvativ cranks before.
With nearly everything changed to Shimano gear on the 07 bikes maybe there was an issue with SRAM.
Product managers spec what they think will sell and what they get cheapest. Easton and Shimano probably offered better deals this year AND Shimano has more BUZZ this year with the new XTR group (even though it won't be on most bikes, it gets the Shimano name out there).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.