Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a Kona Stnky Deluxe for FR, not really close to any mountains, but at some point may go to whistler next year.

So for FR and a little DH which fork would best suite me?

I weigh about 220 w/ gear and live in texas, so we mostly ride drops and dirtjumps and a few DH trails.

cmb

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
the only benefit of a Jr. over the shiver is it wieghs a little less, other than that no contest go for the shiver if you got the hook up for a newer one. Shoot even the older ones used would blow away a Jr

·
Registered
287 Posts
as much as the shiver blows away the junior t if your going to save a good amount with the junior def. get that. I have one and ride everything at mountain creek and plattekill and love the fork. I weigh about 175 with gear but i also have not ridden a shiver. OR you could get a super t and have hscv damping with a lighter stiffer fork. I'm not familiar with texas but my impression is a shiver would be overkill but itd probably match a stinky/whistler better than a jr.t

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
for your area get the Jr T.....lighter fork, but you should upgrade the fork to a Super T
Hey Shiver you feeling ok? :confused:
I never thought I'd hear you say that !

But hey cmb I do agree there is no comparison between the forks you are considering the Shiver (any year) is a way better fork, but I do have to agree with SMT :madman: for your area and riding I do agree that a Super or upgraded jr T would prob work better for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any good posts or descriptions of installing a double or triple crown fork?

I purchased a package deal for a shiver and a Junior T. Plan to ride the Junior T locally and step up to the Shiver when we got to the mountains. I really have little experience other than installing a fox Talas so I really think I need help installing either of the forks.

Clint

·
Registered
287 Posts
its very similar to a single crown...you just have to take off the top crown to slide the steerer up the headtube then put it back on. also remember to set the bottom crown as low as you can so after you put the top crown back on your front end will be as least raked out as possible.
PS- DO NOT overtighten the crown bolts. In a perfect world you should use a torque wrench but its fine if you just use common sense and make them tight without cranking them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so well i got the Junior T on the bike right now, I really need some extra cash for the Whistler trip. So should I put the shiver on then sell the Junior and not look back or what would you do?

How much are the forks worth on the used market? I think they are both 03 or 04.

Pics:

Thanks for your help, all advice would be appreciated for a broke college kid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so quick question. The Jr. T has the quick release axel, but the Shiver has the axel built into the fork. Do I have to buy a new front rim with a hug ass hub to fit over the axel, very confused, help??

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
You'll need a new front hub, depending on the current one you have.

Some are convertable, some aren't. That said, 20mm is WELL WORTH the $50 for a hub. I have a TX Quando. Spins great and only set me bad $50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.