Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on a fairly tight budget for a DC fork. Just won this off E-bay for a pretty good price. Enough that if I end up springing to upgrade one side to Super T cartridges, I still will have only spent about the same as to buy a similar decent shape Super anyhow.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7148489827

So I've got some adjustable preload, and rebound. And an air cart on one side. I wanted to run air in one side anyhow, so I'm set there.

Seems like (from searching) the key to getting any decent performance out of a Junior is to run some lighter oil (I'd go down to 5wt.) and drill out the stock carts slightly. I'm coming off a Z-150, and am not really sure how much difference to expect, or if I'll really even notice. I'm not racing or anything; it'll be used during summer lift season, shuttle rides, and the once in a while pathetic huck attempt days.

Any other tips to maximize Junior T performance? If it ends up sucking, then yeah, I'll just go ahead and buy a Super cart for the one side.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just so you will know, the fork is a 2003 or 2004 model , not '99 as mentioned in the auction. The older forks looked way different and were less travel.
Can't give any tips on how to max out the performance but personally I'd just opt for the super catridge as it will make a big difference. The main problem with the Jr.T is that on dh stuff when going fast over chatter the fork just stiffens up and your hands get quite a beating. Doesn't sound like much but on your 3rd run on a long lift day it will really make you miss the Z150 (same internals as the super).

Just my .02$

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
etal said:
Just so you will know, the fork is a 2003 or 2004 model , not '99 as mentioned in the auction. The older forks looked way different and were less travel.
Can't give any tips on how to max out the performance but personally I'd just opt for the super catridge as it will make a big difference. The main problem with the Jr.T is that on dh stuff when going fast over chatter the fork just stiffens up and your hands get quite a beating. Doesn't sound like much but on your 3rd run on a long lift day it will really make you miss the Z150 (same internals as the super).

Just my .02$
ayup. i realized all that when i bought it. after looking at the auction, and the 'zocchi site, it was pretty obviously an 03 or 04. i'm thinking it's an 03. and i have knew of the differences between the super and the junior models before this; that's why i was asking for any other tips.....

i'm going to play around with it, see what i can do to it. then if i can't tune it to my liking, i'll plunk down money for the super cart. like i said, i still won't be out any more money than having bought a used super after that, or shouldn't be.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I know you don't have any money, but . . .

at some point you are going to want to upgrade the Super T and you will have no place to go.

That is once you take a Jr. T up to a Super T, your done, no more upgrades, period. You still have smaller stanctions, that "oh I broke my QR 20 thing" and older style internals.

Do yourself a favor, save your cash, ride the Jr. T till you can spring for something better, more upgradable, in the end, you will be much happier!!

In the short term, you are bummed 'cause you have some cash for an upgrade and it's burning a hole in your pocket, in the long term, save cash and get something better . . .

like maybe my RR? just kidding, wink, wink, nudge nudge

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJBiker said:
at some point you are going to want to upgrade the Super T and you will have no place to go.

That is once you take a Jr. T up to a Super T, your done, no more upgrades, period. You still have smaller stanctions, that "oh I broke my QR 20 thing" and older style internals.

Do yourself a favor, save your cash, ride the Jr. T till you can spring for something better, more upgradable, in the end, you will be much happier!!

In the short term, you are bummed 'cause you have some cash for an upgrade and it's burning a hole in your pocket, in the long term, save cash and get something better . . .

like maybe my RR? just kidding, wink, wink, nudge nudge
um, no. i have no need or want for the 888. for the bike this is going on, a 7" fork will be perfect. it's a bullit clone, and can be set at 6 or 7" of travel in the rear. the 888 would be kinda' wasted on me and the bike. it's not that i don't have the money, i don't really want to spend a ton, considering i spend far more ride time on my hardtail already. if i wanted to spend more money, i'd just buy a new 05 boxxer ride and have done with it.

i've got qr-20 stuff on my current fork. haven't had a problem yet. it's a bit of a hassle, but i don't foresee breaking it. i'm not a hamfisted mechanic, for the most part. 32mm stantions? yeah, so? at my size, trust me, they'll be fine. and hscv damping/internals work just fine for me. FWIW, i like the way the internals on the Pike fork on my hardtail work waaaaay more than the 04 Z-1 it replaced......

i'll play with the jr. t, and likely go to the super cart in one leg in the future. it'll be an experiment. i should have stressed more about the fact that i'm looking forward to tearing the thing open and playing around with it, just to see what i can do with it.

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
scrublover said:
So I'm on a fairly tight budget for a DC fork. Just won this off E-bay for a pretty good price. Enough that if I end up springing to upgrade one side to Super T cartridges, I still will have only spent about the same as to buy a similar decent shape Super anyhow....
Looks like you scored a good deal there.

I'd say install a HSCV cart in one leg, change to a lighter weight oil in the other, and see how it feels. If you aren't pleased or experience any spiking, you could always drop the $ for the other HSCV cart or sell it and upgrade to something else.

btw: it looks to be an '03, not '04.

FWIW: a friend and I experimented with a modification a few years ago on our SSVF dampers. It worked quite well, but I can't recommend it vs. upgrading to a single SuperT damper. It involved modifying a washer to keep it from blocking off oil flow during repetitive hits / stutter, the common cause of 'spiking'. Here it is in a nutshell.

#1 this is your Jr.T damper. That washer is the focus of the modification.

#2 this is the mod, BB attached with JB weld. The BB keep the washer from closing off the flow of oil when things get fast and choppy.

#3 this is your JrT. damper re-assembled, two views.

Shoot me an email if you are feeling experimental and you'd like more details.
nick_xc AT hot mail DOT com

·
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hey, thanks! yeah, i was pretty sure about it being on 03. i'm definately going to try drilling the current cart, and possibly your mod as well.

again, i'll probably end up going to an hscv cart in the end, but i still want to screw around with this fork as is, just for the hell of it. i may get it to work fine for what i want.
i got it for cheap enough that i''m not really out anything if i end up buying the new cart later .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nick. said:
FWIW: a friend and I experimented with a modification a few years ago on our SSVF dampers. It worked quite well, but I can't recommend it vs. upgrading to a single SuperT damper. It involved modifying a washer to keep it from blocking off oil flow during repetitive hits / stutter, the common cause of 'spiking'.
So if one does a HSCV upgrade to one leg of the Jr T, should this mod be done to the washer in the other leg, or should the washer just be removed altogether? I'm thinking washer mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.