Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2006 Trek Remedy 6 and I'm just not a big fan of the manitou nixon on front. The manitou nixon is a single crown fork and the fork I want to get (Marzocchi Junior-T) is a triple. Has anyone done this? If so what is your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Can be done, but....

first thing you'll do is void the warranty on the frame! Not a really wise thing to do since it's a new bike. That and you'll change the geometry of the bike. You'll be slackening the head angle by a full 2 degrees which will noticeably affect the handling of the bike (slow it down), the Remedy is already sitting at 68 degrees of head angle, you'll be changing it to around 66 degrees. That's going to slow things down considerably. Also you'll be rasing the front end of the bike by a good 1.5 inches. This is going to affect climbing and weight distribution as well. The front end will tend to wash out more easily in thurns and possibly feel floppy when leaned. The AC height of the Nixon is 518mm the AC height of the Juniour T is 555mm. That difference in length is what causes the above changes. Another thing to consider, Trek DID NOT design that frame to be used with a dual crown fork. The additional stress that it will put on the head tube will eventually have a detrimental affect on the life of the frame. The usual result is a cracked head tube. This won't happen right away most likely, but it will eventually happen. How soon depends on the way you ride the bike, and how long you intend to keep it.

Anyway, the bottom line is, it's would be much better to get a single crown fork that more closely matches the dimensions and travel of your current fork. The Remedy is designed as an All Mountain bike. There are plenty of single crown AM forks out there that perform and are stiffer than the Nixon. IMHO the Juniour T is not the answer you are looking for in terms of performance.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.