Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
im a junior xc racer and am planning on racing at nationals this year, i win the junior races around here but don't know how ill do when it comes to hars core cyclists at nationals.
i was looking about getting my bike in order, right now i have a Canondale F-600 its eather an -03 or an -04, my dad had baught it at a pawn shop for $400.
now my Dad is willing to spend around $1,500 max for my next bike so any clues what would be the best bang for the buck??
also wanted to know if i might actually just be better fixing up the bike i have right now?
its a okay bike, so any helpful input would be Great!
~thanks~
P.S.
i was thinking of maybe a 29er i weigh 130 and am 5ft. 7in.
~thanks again~

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. It's the engine, not the bike as long as the bike works.
2. See if you can run down some pictures of junior national races and get a glimpse at what they're racing on. Around here it's 26" wheeled hard tails or 26" wheeled FS. Mostly 26" wheeled hard tails. I can't remember ever seeing a junior riding a 29'er.

For $1500 you could probably run down a nice hard tail from your LBS and be done. Just remember, you will win races, not the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What kind of junior races do you do? regular junior races, jr sport, jr expert, what? Believe me, there is a world of difference between the "junior" races and the jr. Ex races, especially at the national level. And I race a 26" full suspension KHS. I have seen plenty of juniors on 29ers, but at 5'7" that is definitely not for you.

I would recommend trying to get a sponsor to help you get a bike, possibly with a local bike shop. You can buy more than 1500 dollars worth of bike if you are sponsored. I would buy a 26" hardtail, because you are going to get more bang for your buck that way.

I hope to race you out there next year.

Wes

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
i would recommend finding a local team with a strong shop alliance- for instance, one of the teams in town has a shop that lets members shop at cost plus ten percent- easily worth the cost of joining. and having a coach and people to ride with is really nice too.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
There is definitely a huge difference between the local race scene and the national level stuff. I know one kid (Wes' teammate, he's 17 this year), who DOMINATES (most of the time he's up by 10 minutes on second) all of the local SENIOR expert races, and then is in the top 5 at the national level races. When I was racing juniors, I won a couple of races, and got top 5 in most of the other local stuff I did, but then got demolished at the nationals. It is definitely an eye opening experience, and one that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. I would hit up some of the west coast nationals this year, and just have a good time doing it.

As far as your bike goes, at 5'7", you are definitely not right for a 29'er. I would shoot for a XC specific race 26" HT for sure. A lot of shops should be willing to help you out, and with more results, you have a better chance at getting some industry help too (usually not much, but every little bit helps.) For 1500 you can get a decent level bike, one that won't hold you back on the race course.

You could also look into getting a higher end used HT. For that price, you should be able to pick up a decent bike. Just make sure you are sure about what you are getting...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shiva said:
I wouldn't be too quick to say that. Read the 29er forum, there are a lot of riders at 5'7" riding the big wheels. ;)
Again I'm going to repeat... do NOT get a 29er. At your price point it will probably be quite a bit heavier than a 26er anyway. Its really not right for you, no matter what they say.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
khswes said:
Again I'm going to repeat... do NOT get a 29er.... Its really not right for you, no matter what they say.
Yup, Padre's wife, Madre races out of California and is sponsored my Niner. Here's her stats riding a 29"er...

FWIW: My wife is 5'7 and runs a medium with a 105mm stem.

Although she's one of many sub 6' XC racers and endurance racers successfully racing on the big wheels, here she is....

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
khswes said:
This really doesn't need to turn into a debate on wheel size. Go with whatever gets you the most bang for your buck. Hopefully it doesn't make you too fast ;)
True. I just happen to know where the kid races in the plains here in the midwest which is why the initial suggestion after he asked on the 29"er board a while back.

Anyway, it's all moot now as the OP mentions in his 2nd post in this thread that he already got his new sled - it's a Marin Pine Mountain (not the newer model with 29" wheels, but the older model with 26" wheels).

So he's all set...

BB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.