Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what this frame can safely handle. I don't use it for jumping but it'd be nice to know what it can handle should something come up on the trails. Thanks.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Maybe 3ft drops... no more. I do not doubt the frame is tough but "if you find bigger than 3ft drops on your trails from time to time" the frame will go toast.

Aluminum breaks before bending so.... ride inside the frame's possibilities or you can get a nice trip to the ER... which in one visit or two are more expensive than the bike.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Your weight.

The weight of the rider has a huge effect on how big the bike can go. I weigh under 150 lbs so i have a lot of confidence in my frame. I rarely go past the 2' mark, but i personally think that my Zac 19 rims would fold before the frame gave out. So, how much do you weigh? Maybe a 150 lbs rider can do a 4 footer, but a 250lbs rider should probably not get too much space between the Rainier's wheels and the ground.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Should be ok for moderate 2' drops.

Just learn to land softly and your frame will last longer.

The wheels would only give up if you land "off camber" (out of vertical). When landing vertical the wheels (spokes and else) will dampen the impact but the resulting force will go to the frame. One hit will not kill the frame but repeated impacts will.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Should be ok for moderate 2' drops.

Just learn to land softly and your frame will last longer.

One hit will not kill the frame but repeated impacts will.
All good advice. 180 is not bad, but the more you abuse your bike, the shorter its life will be. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, don't go too crazy. The Rainier is a good bike for XC. You can practice landing smoothly on small drops then work your way up a little. If you do see a jump/ drop on the trail that looks a tad big, sure maybe you could try it, but like Warp2003 mentioned, repeated impacts will weaken the frame. Maybe you will want to get into the whole free-ride thing one day, then you will need a new bike. But for now, 2-maybe 3 feet of air is probably a good place to stop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thanks. That's good to know. I haven't taken anything higher than a curb on the way to the trails but I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Along w/ what was already mentioned, I think how smooth the rider is has a large effect on the frames lifespan. Also, there is a big difference between "jumps" and "drops," and if they are to flat or transition. If your smooth and are jumping/dropping to a nice tranny then the frame will take quite a bit, unless your bailing on it. I would not recommend trying to land anything over 1-2' to flat on your bike. Have fun, the Ranier looks like a lot of bang for the buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts