Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have 2004 Jekyll 1000 that I can’t get to handle the way I want when I hit jumps. I’m not talking about monster jumps, just the typical 1 to 3 ft jumps I encounter on the trails. Whenever I hit a jump I have to tug really hard on the bars to keep from landing front wheel first. Everytime I hit a jump or drop on the trail I'm affraid I'm going to endo. I’ve tried every possible combination on the fork and shock rebound and compression. I weight about 210 lbs with riding gear. I also have a Trek Fuel 90 that lands perfect with no effort almost every time when jumping. The Jekyll has the Manitou Swinger shock and a Lefty fork. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Skills

coalriver-rider said:
I need some help. I have 2004 Jekyll 1000 that I can?t get to handle the way I want when I hit jumps. I?m not talking about monster jumps, just the typical 1 to 3 ft jumps I encounter on the trails. Whenever I hit a jump I have to tug really hard on the bars to keep from landing front wheel first. Everytime I hit a jump or drop on the trail I'm affraid I'm going to endo. I?ve tried every possible combination on the fork and shock rebound and compression. I weight about 210 lbs with riding gear. I also have a Trek Fuel 90 that lands perfect with no effort almost every time when jumping. The Jekyll has the Manitou Swinger shock and a Lefty fork. Any ideas? Thanks.
What kind of pedals do you ride with? Flats or clipless?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Shimano M959's on both bikes. (clipless) Would be kind of odd if my skills, or lack of came and went depending on the bike I was riding. Don't you think?

racerzero said:
What kind of pedals do you ride with? Flats or clipless?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After much searching in the mtbr forums and on Google I think I've found the answer. I think I need to change to a stiffer spring on the Lefty. I think the spring I have is to soft for my weight and is causing the front end to nose-dive when I hit the face of a jump thus causing the rear-end to kick up.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
coalriver-rider said:
After much searching in the mtbr forums and on Google I think I've found the answer. I think I need to change to a stiffer spring on the Lefty. I think the spring I have is to soft for my weight and is causing the front end to nose-dive when I hit the face of a jump thus causing the rear-end to kick up.
Have you tried lowering the seat and keeping your weight farther back when riding downhill terrain that might have jumps?

·
Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
645 Posts
Also be sure to pre-load the suspension before you take off. Compressing the shock and the fork just before the jump will alow you to spring off of it keeping you level in the air.

·
Registered
66 Posts
spring

coalriver-rider said:
I noticed the same thing......so mine is in the shop getting the new spring installed as we speak....I weight 210 as well and went with the XXFirm spring (Brown)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That was my next question, what spring to get. Do you know the cost of the spring and installation? Thanks again. This has been driving me nuts.

jagayers said:
I noticed the same thing......so mine is in the shop getting the new spring installed as we speak....I weight 210 as well and went with the XXFirm spring (Brown)

·
Registered
66 Posts
$30 for spring

coalriver-rider said:
Thanks! That was my next question, what spring to get. Do you know the cost of the spring and installation? Thanks again. This has been driving me nuts.
But I had to special order mine......I am stationed overseas with military, so AAFES ordered the spring directly from C'Dale....they quoted me $30 for the spring....

I bike shop that contracts out with AAFES assembles their bikes and also does work on the side (they are C'dal certified mechanics)......so they just charge me a normal labor fee......by the hour.....I am hoping that this job costs less than $20.....

I don't know how much a LBS would charge...I assume standard labor fees....

I have been told that it isn't very difficult to change the spring yourself , as long as you have the right tools ( i think it was a Green park pin spanner...if I recall).....but I don't have the tools, nor the confidence......so I'll let this one up to the professionals

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Skill is a must.

coalriver-rider said:
I have Shimano M959's on both bikes. (clipless) Would be kind of odd if my skills, or lack of came and went depending on the bike I was riding. Don't you think?
Don't know if you can bunny hop with flat pedals. Practicing bunny hops with flats will teach you to control the bike with your upper body and not rely on springs. BMX'ers can jump pretty high with flats and no springs on their bike. See video on link:

http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html

See attached article by Lee McCommack. He explains what causes the bike to nose dive if you do it wrong:

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/Stories/102103/

Consider buying Lee's "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills," that he co-wrote with Brian Lopes. It just came out February of this year. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and it came with a bunch of stickers that sponsor Lee and Brian Lopes. A lots of good learning chapters. I've been to busy at work to try some stuff. Will definitely practice what they preach for this riding season. Oh yeah, they also avocate learning with Flats at first.

http://leelikesbikes.com/MasteringMountainBikeSkills/

You can get away riding small jumps and drops by letting the bike do the all the work. Your'e asking for trouble when you go big with no skills.

Oh yeah, a skilled mtb friend recommended that I switch to flats when I kept nose diving too. It was frustrating at first but worth it because now I feel like I'm controling the bike rather than just hanging on to it. I still use clipless for XC type stuff but ride flats for technical stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.