Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently got a Yeti 575 (5/5 squishy), and as much fun as that is bombing down rock-covered hills, I'm looking for my next bike. But I'm a bit torn between getting a single speed or a dirt jumping bike.

I was wondering if anyone has a single speed "trail" bike that they also use for jumping - I'm not talking about back-flips or other crazy tricks, but just playing around at the local dirt jump park. Obviously, just about any bike can be jumped, but I'd like something that can hold up to the occasional "missed landing".

Or should I just get two bikes? SS and DJ bikes aren't all that expensive (I could easily get two or even three for the price of my Yeti)

I grew up on my BMX bike (raced too), that's why I'm jonesing for both a SS and a DJ bike.

Later,
Greg

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,878 Posts
Do it. I use my SS Chameleon for trail riding and I attempt to jump it as well. I use a 32x18 on the trail and usually put on 16t freewheel for the park and jumps. The park/jumping routine also benefits when I throw on a shorter stem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As was said in reply to my post regarding the Hardrock Single Speeds, it seems like they tried to make an all-purpose bike. The '05 is a tank though, at 30+lbs off the floor.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Lizard. Hee hee.

Recently built up my Chameleon, and just yesterday added a Marz Marathon S fork...took her out for the inagural "traill ride" today, complete with lotsa rocks and rootage and such. Geared 34/19, with a nice ENO FW out back.

Did some minor launches off of everything I could find.

I'm so very impressed! I haven't ridden a squishy fork since Rock Shox put them pink stickers on the glossy black legs.

This could be fun.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Gregzilla said:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has a single speed "trail" bike that they also use for jumping -

Greg
Evil makes a bike just for that, and it looks amazing. nice and clean looking steel in any color. It's called the sovereign. It should be released this month. It can adjust chain stay length from 15.5 (2.3 tire) to a 16.75 ( 3.0) tire. 15.5 Chainstay is insanely small and would be great for jumping and typical urban riding.
http://evilbikes.com/structures_sovereign.htm

The only bad thing it looks like is the price tag, 800 for frame only.

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
Gregzilla said:
I was wondering if anyone has a single speed "trail" bike that they also use for jumping - I'm not talking about back-flips or other crazy tricks, but just playing around at the local dirt jump park. Obviously, just about any bike can be jumped, but I'd like something that can hold up to the occasional "missed landing".

Or should I just get two bikes? SS and DJ bikes aren't all that expensive (I could easily get two or even three for the price of my Yeti)

I grew up on my BMX bike (raced too), that's why I'm jonesing for both a SS and a DJ bike.

Later,
Greg
yeah, i'd been out of biking for a while and sounds like came from a similiar background as you, so i just built up a mt. bike frame with BMXish components. overbuilt, stout, seat lower then the bars, bars up a bit higher then your typical trail bike. frame a size small. but certainly nowhere near the geometries of your typical DJ bike, a position as exagerated as that just drives me nuts. i take it on trails all the time, slightly more stretched out then a bmx but just feels a hell of alot more proportional then my 6'4" frame being huddled down on 20" wheels. rides great wish i had built up all my bikes of the past to feel like this one. take it to the jumps every weekend and dump it plenty, handles it like a champ. throwing on some racks and touring bars next month and riding it across washington, it's really great finally finding your comfortable/do all setup.

just don't repeat my mistake of expecting mt. bike cranks to last ;)

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,878 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Hey LP, what hubs are you running? I have Pauls on the SS Chameleon and am wondering if they would take much of a beating.
A WTB disc hub up front and a White Ind. standard ENO hub on the rear. The ENO axle is a solid shank of steel, and the bearings are easily replaceable, so I'm not worried about hurting it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. The Evil Sovereign looks pretty cool, but a tad on the expensive side. The Hardrock seems a bit too heavy for me for a SS (one of the benefits of a SS is the light weight)

I'm really liking the Bianchi GUSS and SASS. The GUSS looks like it has some tougher components to handle some mild jumping (as long as it's smooth). But the SASS really appeals to me on an asthetic level.

From what I'm reading, the ENO hub and freewheel sound like the way to go.

I think my riding on a SS would be 50% urban/around town, 40% smooth trails and 10% jumping. I have my Yeti 575 for the technical trails, epic rides and Super-D racing (but who knows, maybe I'd end up liking the SS better for the technical trails and epic rides).

I was thinking of just getting one size smaller than I would normally get and getting a shorter stem with raised bars. I think that would help me get to a slightly more BMXish riding position without going overboard.

Oh yeah, what brand is a Chameleon?

Greg

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
A WTB disc hub up front and a White Ind. standard ENO hub on the rear. The ENO axle is a solid shank of steel, and the bearings are easily replaceable, so I'm not worried about hurting it.
Good to know. I have an ECC Eno that I can convert to a standard. I may go that route.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
One can work, but more is nice.

Gregzilla said:
..............Or should I just get two bikes? SS and DJ bikes aren't all that expensive (I could easily get two or even three for the price of my Yeti)

I grew up on my BMX bike (raced too), that's why I'm jonesing for both a SS and a DJ bike./QUOTE]
When you were a kid did you need two bikes? Some of the kids I raced with had rich parents and they had race bikes and practice/jump bikes. My friends and me mostly did it all on one bike. I think there are a lot of frames out there that could be built to be real fun for both of your intended purposes.......but who am I to talk, I own four mountain bikes, each for a different purpose.........get two if you can afford it, and keep the Yeti also!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ride a 20" on the trails

Mattman said:
Gregzilla said:
..............Or should I just get two bikes? SS and DJ bikes aren't all that expensive (I could easily get two or even three for the price of my Yeti)

I grew up on my BMX bike (raced too), that's why I'm jonesing for both a SS and a DJ bike./QUOTE]
When you were a kid did you need two bikes? Some of the kids I raced with had rich parents and they had race bikes and practice/jump bikes. My friends and me mostly did it all on one bike. I think there are a lot of frames out there that could be built to be real fun for both of your intended purposes.......but who am I to talk, I own four mountain bikes, each for a different purpose.........get two if you can afford it, and keep the Yeti also!
I say ride a 20" on the trails, it's fun, super nimble, and jumpable. I ride my 20" on trails some times, and it is real fun, just put a front brake on if ya want.
A redline monocog in a smaller size with bmx cranks and good wheels is a good choice also, slightly long top tube so you can size down for jumping, etc and it comes with a sturdy fork.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Chameleon

=Santa Cruz.

Gregzilla said:
Thanks for the feedback. The Evil Sovereign looks pretty cool, but a tad on the expensive side. The Hardrock seems a bit too heavy for me for a SS (one of the benefits of a SS is the light weight)

I'm really liking the Bianchi GUSS and SASS. The GUSS looks like it has some tougher components to handle some mild jumping (as long as it's smooth). But the SASS really appeals to me on an asthetic level.

From what I'm reading, the ENO hub and freewheel sound like the way to go.

I think my riding on a SS would be 50% urban/around town, 40% smooth trails and 10% jumping. I have my Yeti 575 for the technical trails, epic rides and Super-D racing (but who knows, maybe I'd end up liking the SS better for the technical trails and epic rides).

I was thinking of just getting one size smaller than I would normally get and getting a shorter stem with raised bars. I think that would help me get to a slightly more BMXish riding position without going overboard.

Oh yeah, what brand is a Chameleon?

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.