Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,all i've looked at youtube for crank puller tool removal eplanation & have saw a few videos ;All the video show the crank slip of so easy in a few seconds, & i have read online that it should *** off easily; yet i have been jumping on mine & it wont budge.
The bike shop said the tool wud fit virtually all standard bikes. I'm afraid of damagin the thread if i go to mad.Any1 know what i'm doing wrong ??

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's usually pretty tough to get them off. I think I bruise my hand just about every time. The tools don't have much leverage and the torque is generally 40 - 50 lb ft. Once you get it moving it slides off easily, but the first part sucks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dee66p said:
Hi ,all i've looked at youtube for crank puller tool removal eplanation & have saw a few videos ;All the video show the crank slip of so easy in a few seconds, & i have read online that it should *** off easily; yet i have been jumping on mine & it wont budge.
The bike shop said the tool wud fit virtually all standard bikes. I'm afraid of damagin the thread if i go to mad.Any1 know what i'm doing wrong ??
Depends on the crank you have. If you are using a puller for ISIS on a square taper crank, it will do nothing, except strip the threads if you try too hard. The ISIS and square taper pullers look nearly the same.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You could try a length of pipe as a cheater bar on the crank puller. There's so little leverage on the crank puller tool by itself that I think it would be nearly impossible to strip the threads. Assuming the crank isn't seized to the spindle you will need an equal amount of torque to remove it as was used to install it. Removing pressed on cranks is the reason I really like some of the new external BB designs that don't require the press fit.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
peterm5365 said:
You could try a length of pipe as a cheater bar on the crank puller.
You shouldn't need that.
I'd look at shig's suggestion first!!
and rule that out.
I know I've almost destroyed a crank because I mistakenly had the ISIS foot on my puller (some pullers have both feet)

ST

ISIS

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
shiggy said:
Depends on the crank you have. If you are using a puller for ISIS on a square taper crank, it will do nothing, except strip the threads if you try too hard. The ISIS and square taper pullers look nearly the same.
Guilty. After stripping the threads, I cut one off with rotary tool and grinder. I was installing a new ext bearing crank, so it didn't matter that much.

·
Registered
702 Posts
puller

I'm pretty sure there is only one puller for most crank set/bb's. The difference is a "button" you need for an isis bb/crank. I think it's cause of the larger hollow on the spindle of isis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts