Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made this jump and its prolly the biggest thing ive hit yet, i notice that almost every time i hit it i seem to land front wheel first everytime, just wondering how you guys balance the bike out in the air?

Also Im wondering how u guys get more distance nose wheeling, I can only go like 5-8 ft every time and then i just stop.

BTW if anyone on the forum lives in La Jolla PM me !

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
RuNDmC1087 said:
I recently made this jump and its prolly the biggest thing ive hit yet, i notice that almost every time i hit it i seem to land front wheel first everytime, just wondering how you guys balance the bike out in the air?

Also Im wondering how u guys get more distance nose wheeling, I can only go like 5-8 ft every time and then i just stop.

BTW if anyone on the forum lives in La Jolla PM me !

Here are a few pics:
Well first of all the reason you land nose first is because of the shape of your jump. It's too short and too steep. And the way you built it, it is going to get steeper each time you hit it and eventually will cause you to crash. Dont use grass to build your jump. Building your jump out of grass and dry dirt is not going to make it very sturdt either. You want to use wet dirt and let it dry for a couple days first before hitting it. Try to level it out with more dirt and make it more of a drop, or just build a small sloped landing so you can match your wheels to that.
I could go on for days about dirt jumping technique, you really should do a search.

As for the nose wheelies or stoppies or endos or whatever theyre called, if you want distance, you simply need more speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JSUN said:
Well first of all the reason you land nose first is because of the shape of your jump. It's too short and too steep. And the way you built it, it is going to get steeper each time you hit it and eventually will cause you to crash. Dont use grass to build your jump. Building your jump out of grass and dry dirt is not going to make it very sturdt either. You want to use wet dirt and let it dry for a couple days first before hitting it. Try to level it out with more dirt and make it more of a drop, or just build a small sloped landing so you can match your wheels to that.
I could go on for days about dirt jumping technique, you really should do a search.

As for the nose wheelies or stoppies or endos or whatever theyre called, if you want distance, you simply need more speed.
Pffff.. that's crap!
Move your a$$ more to the rear wheel.. you're leaning to much forward.. a lot! Push the bike forward (under your body) when you're in the air.. know what I mean?

And yes, for stoppies you definately need more speed!

Sorry 4 my englisch..

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
look at dirtjumpers - their jumps are a loot steeper, and they have no problems (well, most of the time :D ) to land on whatever wheel they want to. it's about shifting your weight, pulling up your front wheel or whatever - i don't know much about jumping :rolleyes:

endos: you can pull a loooong endo even at low(ish) speeds, you just need to get the back wheel further in the air. that way your bike will be close to a balance point, you'll be rolling on your front wheel while almost not braking. of course, the hard part is to find the balance point without going over the bars...

·
Registered
301 Posts
La Jolla???

where in La Jolla????

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ilikepinkbikes said:
im up in encinitas. is there good ridin in la jolla?
Not really, there is harldy any land to build on and there are alot of smooth round rocks that really throw you off. There are is one good (but short) DH trail that goes off the back of Mt Soledad, but other than that it mostly sux. Cant wait till summer so i can get my car and go ride real trails.

BTW im a senior in High School and i got into UCI and Cal Poly Pamona, which do you guys think is better.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I think that your front reflector may be weighting the front of your bike down on the jumps. ;)

Collectively, the posters above were right about the nose wheelie. One way to go further is to get more speed - but your rear wheel is far from high enough (in the pic) to get any distance out of it at lower speed. If you practice enough, you will get comfortable being closer to the "sweet spot", and will be able to keep the rear up at even low speeds - then the real fun starts and you can try dropping stuff (with downhill run ins ) from your front wheel or dropping sideways off of ledges, etc... on the trail from the front. (think Wade Simmons in "The Collective") - it's not as hard as it looks, and is about the coolest sensation I've felt on a bike.

edit:

It looks like your weight is really far foward on the bike also, try moving back further on the bike and using more front brake to get the rear up - you have little chance of correcting or bailing with the body positioning in your pic, if you get too far forward, you're gonna have a hard time jumping off or shifting your weight quickly.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I wasn't going very fast at all in these pics (it doesn't look like my rear end is very high because the rock was about 35 degrees) - notice that my @ss is far over the rear, and my body position such that I could launch off the bike if I had to.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Im not a big full suspension guru, but what I noticed when I rented a stinky at N* was that if I tried to pull up through the jump putting all the weight on the rear wheel, when the rear wheel hits the lip and finally lets go it pitches the bike forward.

when I hit jumps differently, allowing the front suspention to compress into the jump, kept my weight back, and I pushed off evenly on both wheels into the jump instead of pulling up, my flight path was much more neutral.

also dont hit your brakes in the air

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Zonk0u said:
.......also dont hit your brakes in the air
You're crazy!!
Pulling your front brake drops your rear end, while hitting your rear brake will drop your front end.All true dirt jumpers know that hitting brakes in the air is essential to contolling your landing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yup

i think the main problem is the jump. it is way to "small" or short, especially for a big bike. it is also to steep, yes i know dirt jumps are steep, but their also concaved a little and much bigger. id personally say add mor good dirt until it works, also lean back of coarse.

·
soulrider
21 Posts
jump size

first as was said before, you need to use wet dirt for the jump. The spot is fine and it looks like a good size to learn on. the wet dirt will stay compressed and dry like concrete. Also it is to small to be that steep, so either flatten it out or make it bigger. Mainly this is a reply to the guy that said there are dj that are near vert. If you watch people jump them tho they end up with the front end down to match the tranny, and the jumps are way bigger. keep trying tho and you will get it, all it takes is practice, whether that be jumping, or making jumps. If you wreck just try something different

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.