Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have found that dead sailor is REALLY obvious when it happens. Your body freezes in air. So as long as you are aware of it, you've got a good control for it. Or anyway, you'll know when it happens so you can concentrate extra on controlling it.

Really, if you concentrate on the row anti-row, you're moving too much in the air to dead sailor.

That, and you jump is too small to have enough air time to dead sailor :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
old thread I know, I just saw it. Im 40 and 270lbs. Is it normal that when I jump everything becomes a blur and only goes back to normal when I land? Anything I can do to avoid that?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,678 Posts
kinda normal to a point. the more you relax, the less you will notice it. even after many years, I still often will boost a jump in the line and lose track of what jump I'm even on till I'm up in the air...

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
old thread I know, I just saw it. Im 40 and 270lbs. Is it normal that when I jump everything becomes a blur and only goes back to normal when I land? Anything I can do to avoid that?
I've had that happen too but so often any more. I wonder if it's part of a panic response or something. Maybe try focusing on the landing. Stare at the spot where you want the bike to land so your eyeballs don't roll backward in your head? Haha.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sessioning helps me with that. Not even trying hard. Just riding the 60-80% jumps over and over and over until they are boring and at my 40-60%. If I’m only putting 40% into it, I have loads of time to think and move in the air.

at 90+%, I barely have time to think “oh sheeeee-“ before landing. Especially if I hit the takeoff crooked and think I’m gonna biff the landing. I try not to ride above my 80%.

I ride my 80 until it’s my 60, then I have a new 80 to ride at, it used to be my 100%, except not anymore.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had a jumping breakthru couple weeks ago. Never put 2 and 2 together, but finally was reviewing old gopro footage and lee likes bikes vids when I finally realized. I thought I was moving smooth on the bike, but the gopro (set on a log and filming from the side) told me I was stiff as hell.

I mentally told myself to get my chest down on the bars ala lee, don’t act like I’m scared of it. First jump, I could just comfortably land most of the time before, instantly became easy to overshoot. HUGE boost.

you want to improve? Film yourself. Gopro, iphone, whatever. Get some video from the side and observe your technique. You might surprise yourself, what it feels you’re doing might not be what you’re doing at all.

except dead sailor. That crap is no **** good, and you can feel that too easy in the air. Feels terrible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, I'm also new to jumping mountain bikes (I'm in my 40s and haven't jumped a bike since I was about 13). Just bought a bike and have ridden it about 10 times. I want to get confident doing small jumps (3-4 ft high with about 10 ft clearance). I have attached a video of me almost clearing the jump (2nd jump in video). I just can't seem to get the extra height/distance I need to clear it without getting off balance. I'm hoping someone can identify a flaw in my technique and give me some advice on how to fix it. Cheers

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey guys, I'm also new to jumping mountain bikes (I'm in my 40s and haven't jumped a bike since I was about 13). Just bought a bike and have ridden it about 10 times. I want to get confident doing small jumps (3-4 ft high with about 10 ft clearance). I have attached a video of me almost clearing the jump (2nd jump in video). I just can't seem to get the extra height/distance I need to clear it without getting off balance. I'm hoping someone can identify a flaw in my technique and give me some advice on how to fix it. Cheers
Video is unavailable...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Video is unavailable...
Oh I just realised it was set on private. Should work now.
The path through smaller to bigger jumps is smart one :)
You are doing the classic "misfire" - you try to soak-up the lip - that means that when you pump the transition (you're not doing that either - if that was full-suspension bike this would be even more Firday fails video :) ) you have to start release legs when REAR wheel is leaving the lip, not when rear wheel is half-way from transition to end of lip.

Just try to pump transition a little more (like you would want to compress non-existing rear shock) and "fight" transition and lip a little longer until your rear wheel leaves the lip (legs are extended until rear wheel leaves the lip).

And post progress video :)

·
Destroyer of Worlds
159 Posts
I didn't see any compression at all going into the transition. Just went straight to a pull up.

·
Administrator
11,439 Posts
I have been learning to jump as well and found that exaggerating the pump in to the face really helped me. I compress my body straight down and then explode when I go into the face of the jump. The over exaggerated compress and jump helped me to understand what to do, and as I have been learning I am now tempering the exaggeration down so I can learn control and distance. It didn't start to click for me until I did the exaggeration. Now understand I am using a rigid bike so I don't have the suspension I can compress so the exaggeration is like compressing my suspension and then as I pop out of it it is akin to the suspension pop added to my pop. On the hardtail this might help as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know exactly your problem. It's almost identical to my vid and the one above mine. You are hitting the jump at trail speed and just riding up and over. you are not moving your body at all.

there are two things you are NOT doing in that video.

First is the row/antirow thing. I found it pretty easy to do it. watch the lee likes bikes vids (I think that's the one), dude harps on row/anti row. internalize it and session until you are rowing and more importantly, anti-rowing in the air. You are not being a "dead sailor", but you're pretty frozen in flight. MOVE. push the bike forward. You'll get more distance and be more stable in flight.

Second thing, and this is what will solve it for you (but you need row/antirow first), is you are WAY off the bars. Look at our vids above. we are too. Scared of smashing our chests into the bars, so we're 2 feet away, knowing our arms will save us. It robs you of jumping power! When you get row and anti row down, then get down on the bars. Your row ends with your chest damn-near ON the bars. Then you pop with arms and legs in anti-row and push the bike forward in the air.

You will sail right over that thing. I bet row/antirow puts your front wheel on the landing every time, then getting your chest low, you'll get the back wheel on the landing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know exactly your problem. It's almost identical to my vid and the one above mine. You are hitting the jump at trail speed and just riding up and over. you are not moving your body at all.

there are two things you are NOT doing in that video.

First is the row/antirow thing. I found it pretty easy to do it. watch the lee likes bikes vids (I think that's the one), dude harps on row/anti row. internalize it and session until you are rowing and more importantly, anti-rowing in the air. You are not being a "dead sailor", but you're pretty frozen in flight. MOVE. push the bike forward. You'll get more distance and be more stable in flight.

Second thing, and this is what will solve it for you (but you need row/antirow first), is you are WAY off the bars. Look at our vids above. we are too. Scared of smashing our chests into the bars, so we're 2 feet away, knowing our arms will save us. It robs you of jumping power! When you get row and anti row down, then get down on the bars. Your row ends with your chest damn-near ON the bars. Then you pop with arms and legs in anti-row and push the bike forward in the air.

You will sail right over that thing. I bet row/antirow puts your front wheel on the landing every time, then getting your chest low, you'll get the back wheel on the landing.
Ok thanks for the advice. Just to be clear it is the 2ND jump in the video that I am focusing on. I am landing the front tyre on the downslope just not the rear. I feel like I'm compressing into the transition and releasing off the lip but clearly I'm not doing it enough. I've only had one session on the jump so with a bit more practice I think I will get it. The main problem is when I try to go faster or get more pop I'm having trouble staying straight.
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
38 Posts
The path through smaller to bigger jumps is smart one :)
You are doing the classic "misfire" - you try to soak-up the lip - that means that when you pump the transition (you're not doing that either - if that was full-suspension bike this would be even more Firday fails video :) ) you have to start release legs when REAR wheel is leaving the lip, not when rear wheel is half-way from transition to end of lip.

Just try to pump transition a little more (like you would want to compress non-existing rear shock) and "fight" transition and lip a little longer until your rear wheel leaves the lip (legs are extended until rear wheel leaves the lip).

And post progress video :)
Ok thanks for the advice. Just to be clear it is the 2ND jump in the video that I am focusing on. I am landing the front tyre on the downslope just not the rear. I feel like I'm compressing into the transition and releasing off the lip but clearly I'm not doing it enough. I've only had one session on the jump so with a bit more practice I think I will get it. The main problem is when I try to go faster or get more pop I'm having trouble staying straight.
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am sure everyone‘s comment is based on the second jump since no once can see what you are doing in the first jump. listen to what they are saying. You are not jumping. You relied on speed to ride off of the ramp. Go slower and learn how to pump the transition or else it’s going to be a video of Friday Fails. Just be patience and take a small step at a time.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
thanks for the advice
Go slower. Technique first then speed. Try not to clear it, try to get higher.

You're not loading the bike, you're letting it load by riding into the jump. Actively start loading at the base of the jump.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Once again guys thanks for the advice, I'll try to apply it and get better 😀
On second jump you can clarly see too early "misfire" in timing - look at your left foot - your body is not leaning slightly back when "pumping" into transition and your feet are pointing down already when bike is still on the lip.
Your feet should be poining straight or up UNTIL back wheel leaves the lip, the should point down when in the air :D

Regarding troubles at higher speed staying straight - it means that you are pulling with your arms too much and not using your body for pumping part. With higher speed this becomes more obvious.

Like they said in previous posts - go with current speed or even slower and try to concentrate on height, no distance. One way to help with that is to put i.e. some backpack or simmilar (something soft) on top of the lip - that way your mind/body will automaticaly release energy later because it will see "more heigh" on the lip.

Look at this excelent video for this aid

41 - 60 of 63 Posts