Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else here with a Fuel EX has the same issue I am having. The bike tends to want to nose over on jumps. This is my first full suspension and I am not sure if I should be doing something different than I did on my hard tail.

·
Registered
582 Posts
ianblaster said:
Just curious if anyone else here with a Fuel EX has the same issue I am having. The bike tends to want to nose over on jumps. This is my first full suspension and I am not sure if I should be doing something different than I did on my hard tail.
Nose over after you land? Are you jumping right? If you're jumping right, your rear should be hitting first then your front (or hitting at the same time). First time on a full suspension here as well and I'm still getting used to the way the bike handles. I tend to put more weight towards the back when I jump than I normally would on a rigid or bmx.

Also, is this your first time on front suspension? It was my first time as well, just pulling back doesn't really cut it with front suspension. Helps to pre-load a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was wondering if the rear shock extending too fast would rotate the bike forward in the air. I am so used to the hardtail I have. The front wheel on it comes up and I can push the nose over using my body english to achieve a good landing. I will test out the rebound theory. As far as the correct stem length, whats the school of reasoning for finding the optimum length? I have a 90mm stem on it now. I am 6'0" and the bike is a size 19.5" virtual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I borrowed a shorter stem from a buddy and installed it on my EX8. Just going off curbs and steps in the neighborhood, I can get the front wheel much higher and land the bike correctly. I now have a slight bend in my elbows instead of completely extended and I am liking the quicker steering response. I may have hit on something with this. Thanks CharacterZero for the suggestions. I plan to hit trail this weekend and see how it helps and also play around with the rebound.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
ianblaster said:
Well, I borrowed a shorter stem from a buddy and installed it on my EX8. Just going off curbs and steps in the neighborhood, I can get the front wheel much higher and land the bike correctly. I now have a slight bend in my elbows instead of completely extended and I am liking the quicker steering response. I may have hit on something with this. Thanks CharacterZero for the suggestions. I plan to hit trail this weekend and see how it helps and also play around with the rebound.
now for some video...right? still diggin it? happy to help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally got out on the trail today to try out the shorter stem and less rebound on the rear shock. It did not solve my problem. Bike still rotated forward off a jump. Was getting very frustrated. I decided to hit it one more time to see if I could figure this thing out. I noticed that the front was trying to sink off of the lip before the rear wheel even came off the jump. I decided to try one last thing. I dialed the rebound on the front fork all the way down and hit it.

Jackpot! It launched and landed perfect. So I gradually adjusted the rebound up till it started doing it again and then backed off a click. Problem solved. I ended up two clicks to the right on the rebound from my original position recommended by the Trek setup guide for the pressure I am running.

Funny how the solution to my problem has been staring at me from the right stanchion this whole time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts