Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help here...

Kinda bummed my ride didn't go so well this evening. I kinda felt that is was going to be one of those rides just do to being tired and not into it like I normally am. But I convinced myself to go anyway. And I think that was problem number 1. I sessioned some jumps (kinda big to me but probably small for most of you) that I've been working on and granted I know I need the practice but jeeez, I couldn't pull anything clean and my landings were scary. Pulled a bunch of bar humps (I think that's what they're called) and that, I have never really experienced before. You know when you're in the air and the bars nearly touch your hips and you land back tire definitely first. What did or didn't I do to get that result?? Besides being an obvious not "on" ride, I'm guessing that I didn't put my whole body into the motion of the jump meaning I think I didn't use my legs to push off well. Or I used them but just stood up straight up for some reason. Just feeling a bit of wtf.

Help/suggestions??

Thanks!

·
Petty and weak
742 Posts
Whoa, settle down cowboy!!
You just lifted the front higher than the back, obviously. Be glad you weren't kicking the back over the front! Check your suspension, and then go shred.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
when I'm feeling a little sketchy about a jump I tend to do the same thing. It's b/c I am trying not to nose case and I forget to push the front end down into the landing. Just concentrate on nosing down into the landings and everything will go alot smoother

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat...with practicing and learning jumps. I may be going about this the wrong way, but one of the first things concerning control that I've been doing, is learning how to pitch the bike forward if I'm too far back. OP, it seems like you're on the right track. I think your weight should be more back than forward when you take off a launch anyway.
There's three ways I've found that helps out on this. 1. shove the handle bars forward (much like you would off a drop) and sort of crouch a bit behind the seat at the same time. 2. tap the back brake (moto-x riders use this technique as well) 3. pitch your head forward as if you were looking down (whereever your head goes, your body will follow...same principle as turning your head to the side when doing 360s).
Now, if I could only get X-ups down without the back of the frame kicking out to one side everytime I turn the handlebars in the air.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

rmb_mike said:
There's three ways I've found that helps out on this. 1. shove the handle bars forward (much like you would off a drop) and sort of crouch a bit behind the seat at the same time. 2. tap the back brake (moto-x riders use this technique as well) 3. pitch your head forward as if you were looking down (whereever your head goes, your body will follow...same principle as turning your head to the side when doing 360s).
Now, if I could only get X-ups down without the back of the frame kicking out to one side everytime I turn the handlebars in the air.
Oh yeah, I think I've done #1 a few times and I know it when I do it. I definitely forgot that part for whatever reason last night. Not sure I follow you for #3. I guess I'm not sure on how to consistently get the nose down when I need to. I've done it from time to time but have never really picked out how I've been able to do it.

For your X-ups, could be wrong here but, I think you need to focus on keeping your hips straight. I tend to kick out to the right off of everything and I have to focus on keeping every thing straight or I can get myself in big trouble! Not as bad when I first started but if I forget my landing reminds me!

·
Registered
875 Posts
bigwaved said:
Thanks for the input guys.

Oh yeah, I think I've done #1 a few times and I know it when I do it. I definitely forgot that part for whatever reason last night. Not sure I follow you for #3. I guess I'm not sure on how to consistently get the nose down when I need to. I've done it from time to time but have never really picked out how I've been able to do it.
What I meant by number 3:
You know when the pros do 360s, they turn their head to the side, in the direction that they are turning. Same goes for backflips, they arch their head back/up(i.e. in the direction they are flipping/rotating). Same goes for gymnasts when they do front flips, they tuck their head down.
You want to tilt your head down and 'look down'. It's more for getting into the habit of looking/spotting your landing, but it also helps a bit in 'rotating'/pitching the bike forward.
I'm not saying to dig your chin into your chest, but just tilt your head down a bit.
Honestly, #1 and #2 should help you the most with pitching your bike forward though.

For your X-ups, could be wrong here but, I think you need to focus on keeping your hips straight. I tend to kick out to the right off of everything and I have to focus on keeping every thing straight or I can get myself in big trouble! Not as bad when I first started but if I forget my landing reminds me!
I'll try that. I've also been told to pinch the seat with my knees/thighs as well.
I think what happens is the inertia of me turning the bars is just letting the tail end follow suit. It doesn't kick out that much, but it may be enough to cause me to lose my line and crash. Don't want that.
I'm going to start practicing pinching the seat anyway, as that's the method for no-handers, suicide no-handers and bar spins.

·
Registered
592 Posts
rmb_mike said:
I'm kinda in the same boat...with practicing and learning jumps. I may be going about this the wrong way, but one of the first things concerning control that I've been doing, is learning how to pitch the bike forward if I'm too far back. OP, it seems like you're on the right track. I think your weight should be more back than forward when you take off a launch anyway.
I dunno, but I tend to lean forward on the face of the jump and then lean back a little or stay neutral, similar motions to when doing a bunnyhop. I land how I should doing that. its kinda dangerous because you can case your front wheel if you dont have enough speed(as rollertoaster said). It happened to me once, I was short maybe an inch ortwo, and the fork and my hands absorbed it all, so no crash.

I think bunnyhopping (front wheel up then back wheel up) reeally helps with jumping.

I also think that video on decline is pretty good. i was going to post it, but dowst did before me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The decline video showed how to jump DH or racer style. Weak! IMO...

How about the "pop" method where you come into the jump and preload the suspension and unload right as you hit the lip giving you a lot more stylin or trick time. Give that a try.

Coming into the jump neutral and not "flowing it" with your body is a recipe for disaster. Depending on susension set-up (or weight distribution for that matter) you could get bucked over the bars or thrown wherever the jump throws you. Dont be afraid to man-handle your bike...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
****** said:
The decline video showed how to jump DH or racer style. Weak! IMO...

How about the "pop" method where you come into the jump and preload the suspension and unload right as you hit the lip giving you a lot more stylin or trick time. Give that a try.

Coming into the jump neutral and not "flowing it" with your body is a recipe for disaster. Depending on susension set-up (or weight distribution for that matter) you could get bucked over the bars or thrown wherever the jump throws you. Dont be afraid to man-handle your bike...
Yeah, just checked out the decline video and that's what I thinking when I watched it. I didn't see the pop method. Why not? Isn't it the basic foundation for jumping?

Hmmm... maybe I'll set the camera up and take a little video clip so I can self analyze. I think I'm doing the "pop" but maybe it's just in the brain and I'm not physically following through all the time. Add in some of Mike's step #1 body positioning and maybe that's the ticket?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Prepering for a jump a moment before usualy works for me. Most ppl try to "just jump" while it's good to have a good starting position before a jump. Than your will lift off correctly and won't have to do any sketchy moves afterwards in the air. I land back heavy only if I forget that and hit jumps wrong or when I know I will land bad. 99% of my landings is clear and smoth that way (1% is for high speed jump crashes and coming short when being stupid :p )

·
Registered
875 Posts
bigwaved said:
Yeah, just checked out the decline video and that's what I thinking when I watched it. I didn't see the pop method. Why not? Isn't it the basic foundation for jumping?

Hmmm... maybe I'll set the camera up and take a little video clip so I can self analyze. I think I'm doing the "pop" but maybe it's just in the brain and I'm not physically following through all the time. Add in some of Mike's step #1 body positioning and maybe that's the ticket?
I'm wondering if the 'pop' method was supposed to be in the v.2 version up at the top left corner of the video screen. But as luck has it, ****in Decline probably removed or lost it (the requested document was not found on this server...why is that, Decline???).
I asked about some 'how to' videos in another thread. No one seemed to know where any (free online) videos could be located.
But yeah monkey, bunny hopping off a launch is one of the best ways to get more air. It's much like the same principle as ollieing off a launch on a skateboard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.