Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so now that I have found a semi legit place to build, We started to build some jumps (be we, I mean me) I have kinda encounted a problem of sorts. Where to dig the dirt up from. For the first set of dubs I just took it from the side and now I am left with a area that looks like the surface of the moon. I am thinking to dig the area out between the next jump and the landing of the previous one, which is a buttload of work though.

So the real question is, Should I even worry about this,and just take dirt from where ever?

·
Registered
459 Posts
dig between the jump and the landing. then the holes aren't in the way AND you can have your friends stand in them and jump em. that also can get you some sick camera angles

·
Registered
4 Posts
usually if im going to dig a hole I make it into a jump... you can dig in between the jumps too. Or just dig shallow holes a few inches deep.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
If you dig between the jumps, be careful to leave enough dirt so that you don't compromise the integity of your lip and landing piles. Leave a big enough base so that you can build them up as you progress.
I might try using some hay bales as a base, they will deteriorate over time, but in most DJ spots the jumps don't last many seasons anyway.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
bsically you want to dig curve bowls between the landings and take off for the next jump...By digging the ground down ...you take that dirt and make the jump....the jump doesn't haVE to be as tall because you dug before it...so if your jump is 3 feet 1 1/2 feet are below the ground and 1 1/2 feet above the ground....makes building jumps faster...make sure you build a drain too

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
bsically you want to dig curve bowls between the landings and take off for the next jump...By digging the ground down ...you take that dirt and make the jump....the jump doesn't haVE to be as tall because you dug before it...so if your jump is 3 feet 1 1/2 feet are below the ground and 1 1/2 feet above the ground....makes building jumps faster...make sure you build a drain too
Yea, That was my main concern with the diging down, is drainage.

How would I go about this?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
Chicodude01 said:
Yea, That was my main concern with the diging down, is drainage.
this?
since in rains a lot up in the Chico area...you will just have to dig trenches to lower grown

·
Registered
781 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
this is what I was going to suggest. We nearly got our spot shut down due in large part to the huge holes between in the gaps. We are in the process of filling the holes and digging transitions between the landings and lips. Should make for a much better looking trail system.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Dig with a flat head shovel. Scrape out the "bomb holes" you made with your spade shovel.

And if no one helps you but then wants to come ride them later, slash their tires.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
kidwoo said:
Dig with a flat head shovel. Scrape out the "bomb holes" you made with your spade shovel.

And if no one helps you but then wants to come ride them later, slash their tires.
definately get other riders to help or don't invite them

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kidwoo said:

Pretty much what is going on here. You don't dig, you don't ride.

Except for you. You're the dreamiest..... ;)

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Chicodude01 said:
You have no excuse not to dig. :D
Exsqueeze me? Did you just say i have no exuse not to dig? I thought i was hearing things for a minute. I'm that crazy guy you heard about that put shuvel time on every mountain bike spot for 60 square miles around you. :eek: Let me know when my new jumps are ready for testing in the P. :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
zachdank said:
Exsqueeze me? Did you just say i have no exuse not to dig? I thought i was hearing things for a minute. I'm that crazy guy you heard about that put shuvel time on every mountain bike spot for 60 square miles around you. :eek: Let me know when my new jumps are ready for testing in the P. :D
:mad: :mad: :mad: someones in trouble :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
zachdank said:
Exsqueeze me? Did you just say i have no exuse not to dig? I thought i was hearing things for a minute. I'm that crazy guy you heard about that put shuvel time on every mountain bike spot for 60 square miles around you.
Then continuing the momentum should be no problem. Give the kid a hand so he'll buy my bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zachdank said:
Ouch, I've been served.

Your jumps won't be ready for a while, It takes me along time to dig by myself

1 - 20 of 38 Posts