Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Jumbo Jim coming to us in a 27.5" x4 or bigger?? Out of all the 26" Fatty tires I have ridden, I thought they were the best. I now went to the 27.5" size rim and would hope they come out soon.

·
fat guy on a little bike
941 Posts
my suggestion: pray

i prayed for a 27.5x4 vanhelga and it showed up. of course, it is too tall to fit my bike, so i guess I didn't pray hard enough...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unless some OEM has spec'd / ordered it, I would bet my fatbike it wont happen. Schwalbe jumped on fatbikes 5 years ago along with everybody else, and has seen poor sales, also like everybody else.
Tire moulds are expensive, they are not going to do it just because.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unless some OEM has spec'd / ordered it, I would bet my fatbike it wont happen. Schwalbe jumped on fatbikes 5 years ago along with everybody else, and has seen poor sales, also like everybody else.
I would be willing to bet that Schwalbe has sold a LOT of Jumbo Jims and has not lost money on the venture. However, I also would place a wager on Schwalbe not making a 27.5 version of the JJ.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Every single stock bike other than bikes with house brands had jumbo jims to keep the weight down:

Then everyone figured out they suck as a winter tire and now it seems maxxis tires are the stock unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Now that fat bikes are used every season, they should come with “all season tires” stock. Then it is up to the rider to get himself/herself something specific for winter.

Minions are great all season tires by all accounts. And just like all season tires for cars, they would suck on snow compared to snow specific tires.

·
Registered
378 Posts
my suggestion: pray

i prayed for a 27.5x4 vanhelga and it showed up. of course, it is too tall to fit my bike, so i guess I didn't pray hard enough...
Same with me, wanted something more knobby than the Hodags. Jumped on the VH’s but alas, too tall for the Mutz.

·
Anchorage, AK
1,352 Posts
Which also suck as a winter tire.
I have had good luck in Anchorage with JJs during the winter--very low rolling resistance and great float. I'd use them in the ITI too, if I were going to bike it (but probably only if I were going to McGrath (not Nome)).

·
This place needs an enema
15,709 Posts
I have had good luck in Anchorage with JJs during the winter--very low rolling resistance and great float. I'd use them in the ITI too, if I were going to bike it (but probably only if I were going to McGrath (not Nome)).

I was referring to the DHF/DHR sucking on snow.

JJ's are good on groomed snow but the more wild (ungroomed, wind affected, drifted, bottomless, etc...) it gets the less I want anything to do with them.

·
fat guy on a little bike
941 Posts
I was referring to the DHF/DHR sucking on snow
Yup. Hard compound, no sipes... its too bad.
agreed on teh snow suckage of the maxxis tires. i really like the maxxis fbf/fbr carcass & sidewall, so i have been experimenting with different siping patterns...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
agreed on teh snow suckage of the maxxis tires. i really like the maxxis fbf/fbr carcass & sidewall, so i have been experimenting with different siping patterns...

The vanhelgas would be good to copy. Its for sure the casing, friends maxxis tires at 6 psi on the beach felt like 12 psi. My bontragers felt like 3 psi at 6.

Wont contour to the ground stiff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Don't forget that it took about 2 years after the first JJ debut to actually have shelf stock. The industry is moving to fast for those kind of shenanigans.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,570 Posts
Don't forget that it took about 2 years after the first JJ debut to actually have shelf stock. The industry is moving to fast for those kind of shenanigans.
They had to get it through Congress, whaddya expect?!?!

Vaporware and bicycle industry go hand in hand.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,570 Posts
Sweet!

Or at least a 29 x 3.0 JJ

I love my 26 x 4.0 for summer riding. It rolls fast for sure.

All in for 27.5 x 4 and 29 x 3 Liteskins for Sarge III!!!

I had a pair of Nobby Nic 3.0's in snakeskin and they were slow af compared to a pair of the same size in Performance. Gave the snakesklins away because they rolled like squares and were dead as hell for trialsin, deal breaker...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts