Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions for riding in mid-July. Looking for challenging single track for @ 3 days of riding for my son and I. Checked trail reviews but didn't really find anything current.

Thanks,

Marty

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It mostly depends on your fitness @ altitude, technical ability.
There is the stuff on the Front Range like Palmer Park, Red Rocks
in Morrison. Or high country like Peaks Trail, Boreas Pass etc.
If you're not used to huge climbs/decents those are the easier ones.
Way more difficult stuff to hit up.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
What part of colorado are you going to be in come July. Where you stay will dictate what we reccomend.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
You know it's crazy to be talking about July riding at the moment. We got 12" of snow all around, pretty cold temps, winter just started...July is a loooooooooooooong way away.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gosh, there are really alot of placec to ride without getting over your head. Some may be crowded on some days and some rarely crowdwd. jefferson open space from Golden to Morrison. Winter Park, Summit County, Chaffee County- Buena Visa and Salida are getting trail development. Even us dirtbags here in Leadville have recieved goverment approval for trails. Alot of trails you can go high or stay low with easier climbs. Or even a chairlift to access some xc trails with an overall descent but still some climbing. I have done the multi day camp 'n bike trips. But sometimes a hotel/condo is very much woth it as I have found. So Summit, and Chaffee counties Summit County or Front Range are all good, but different

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins. My intial plan was to hit Moab but since I can't get time off til mid-July have to change plans. We're both Cat 2 racers so we're in ok shape but live in Kansas and race in OK so altitude will probably play a factor.

I'm looking for fun challenging XC stuff. I ride a 29er hardtail so not interested in DH type runs.

Thanks,

Marty

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
In July I would definitely be hitting up the high country rides like Crested Butte, Breckenridge, Salida, or Steamboat. Altitude may be a factor, but you won't be racing so take your time and enjoy the best riding!

·
single track ****
628 Posts
If you want stuff that's close to Ft. Collins, then you could spend a day or two riding Horsetooth Mtn park/Lory State Park(they connect, and a pass to one gives access to both trail systems). They have a swim beach(horsetooth side), and camping avail. Just north of Ft Collins you could also go up the Poudre/HWY14, and hit up hewletts,youngs, and Dadds gulches. Lots of camping, and Mishawaka amphitheater is a fun place to grab a beer/bite/band. About an hour north(in WY.) there's Curt Gowdy State park, and they have a nice trail system too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.