Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Very tempting.

I was excited to see this event on the calendar. The only bummer is that this event is the same weekend as the Laramie Enduro...but it is 3 hours closer. I would be curious to know which trails are being used for this event as well.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Galena Grinder, Ketchum, ID

The Galena Grinder is a great race! Obviously there are some conflicts with other races, but anyone looking for a great event, in a valley with some of the best singletrack anywhere, should consider coming to Ketchum.

The course has been the same for the last couple of years, and will be pretty much the same this year as well. The start and finish are at the Galena Lodge, about 25 miles north of Ketchum. The course follows a mix of singletrack and double track on the XC ski trails. It is a challenging two-lap course with great views and awesome terrain. I hope to see a lot of new faces this year!

·
Registered
16 Posts
What does it take to ride in the Open marathon class?

Looking forward to this race in Ketchum, especially the Marathon.

What does it take to be labeled expert? It says there is an "Open" category (offered to Pros, Semi-Pros and Experts only) will be held for a Marathon

I race (infrequently) in the Sport class but plan to train for the 45 mi marathon loop. Anybody know about how the class labels work?

thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I asked a friend about that expert requirement and he seems to think they want a race resume from you in order to be allowed to do it. Probably just so they don't have to wait around forever for people unprepared. I'm interested in doing this race too, but don't have any "expert" racing experience.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
USA Cycling, to my knowledge, is not picky about who signs up for Expert. You just need to have an annual license. Upgrading to Semi-Pro or Pro requires a resume with results, and they have specific requirements for those upgrades. I am not sure why Expert is where USA Cycling drew there line in the sand in regards to entering a race without an annual license.

One benifit to having an annual USA Cycling license is some pretty darn cheap accident health insurance that covers you everywhere, not just a bike race. If you are using a high deductible health insurance plan, it gives you great coverage for far less than having a full blown policy. Unfortunately I don't think they are giving bike vouchers for Delta anymore.

The double lap race at the Galena Grinder (Marathon) always has a competitive field, and it is a really fun course. I always look forward to seeing new faces on the starting line!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The XXC (now called Marathon) class (2 laps) was an idea that started with some bada** hombres in Harrisonburg, VA. Being from that neck of the woods originally, a few of us who helped put on the Galena Grinder for a few years decided to introduce it here in Ideeho. Lo and behold, in it's 2nd year, the open XXC class drew a bigger field than the Sport and Expert (both one lappers) fields combined. It's been great to see it grow like it has.
There have never been (nor are there now to my knowledge) any restrictions on who can enter the open XXC class.
The course itself is very challenging. Each lap is @ 22 miles with @ 3500 ft of climbing. There aren't many flat sections. It's challenging and entertaining.
Hope to see a lot of you there! There's free camping all around there.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.