Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading up to NC tomorrow night. I will either camp at Davidson (if I'm very lucky) or North Mills River (I have a site reserved). I'm looking to do some fun rides at Dupont with my wife, but I also want to get a big, long, tough ride in during the weekend. I don't mind going solo but I would rather join a group of knowledgeable locals since I'm not familiar with the area. (I have the NG map)

Are there any group rides departing from either trailhead? Post ride refreshments at my campsite:thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I posted the comments below last night on a different thread on here. Consider it an invite if you are interested. We will be departing from Davidson River on Sat.

If you are interested in an "epic" type ride, check out this thread on a different site.

http://www.bikepasa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1298

We like strangers with purty teeth to join up on our rides. Serously though, the ride we'll be doing will definately give you a taste of the best that NC has to offer. The meet up is at the Davidson River. Read through the entire post and you will get a good sense of whats in store for the day.

I dont know you at all so dont take offense, but you will need to have a pretty good level of fitness. We'll probably be going at a slow steady pace for this ride, so you dont have to be a speed demon. Lots of climbing and some hike a bike. You need to have a reliable bike and a pack big enough to carry food, enegy gels or whatever you use to keep you going for an all dayer. Plus a spare tube or two and tools to work on your bikes. Its a long push back if you have a unrepairable mechanical issue.

We dont drop or loose riders and there are bail out options if needed. You are welcome to join in if you are up for that type of ride. We are an easy going group that likes to talk a lot of smack and generally have a good time. I like to extend invites to out of towners because I have been treated to some great riding experiences all over the US from trolling around on mtbr.

Sam aka Spoke on the other site.

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ncbiker said:
I posted the comments below last night on a different thread on here. Consider it an invite if you are interested. We will be departing from Davidson River on Sat.
Thanks for the info. Sounds very tempting! Since I'm driving through the night on Friday (from FL) I might not have enough time to set up camp and take a little nap before heading out. Maybe a couple of red bulls for breakfast will do it. Can you PM me your cell phone so I can find you guys on Saturday. I'll send you mine. I'll either be at Davidson or North Mills.

So you guys are shuttling up to Mount Pisgah, would I be able to get a ride with someone? I probably don't want to abandon my wife at DRC carless for 10 hours :D

Luis

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have been out of town for several days and have been playing catch up at work and have not really kept up with what is planned or participated in the planning. I am just showing up, ready for anything that happens. So...I dont know what the logistics are in the shuttle run. Your wife may be the perfect shuttle driver for you IF there is not room. There very well may be room, but I dont know for certain. I will pm my phone number and you can give a call if you want to jump on.

If you dont have time for the full ride, there are early bail out options. We are not venturing too far form Davidson River Campground, just linking up several loops and trails.

Sam

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Had a great ride with you guys. It was great to be back on the bike for the miles after such a long siesta. Unfortunatley I may be off the bike again for a few weeks to a month. Last week the back of my left ankle started to feel tight. Thinking I was just tight I stretched all week and during our ride yesterday it felt a little sore but held. This morning I wake up and its stiff. The back of my ankle where my achiles tendon runs is swollen about 3 times its orginal size and a little tender. Call a doctor friend who says I have achiles tendonitis and that I need to stay off the bike for a few weeks at best, take 600 mg of IB P a couple times a day and to ice it up. May be out for my "ride" of ORAMM after all.

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Jeremy- if you have insurance that will offset cost, try going to SouthEastern Fitness and Rehabilitation for consult/therapy. It will probably get you back on the bike quicker and teach you how to prevent such injury in the future...they've been fantastic at working with me through my issues to the point I am fully able to MTB again already. Not to be a broken record, but I cannot recommend SEFR enough....
Hope it gets better soon,
Mike

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome ride guys:D I have just rolled in the door after 9 hrs of driving fun. Thanks for the great tour :thumbsup: I ended up riding Sun, Mon and this morning. I hope to meet up with you soon,maybe during the fall.

Jeremy - sorry about your ankle, hope you heal in time for ORAMM, either way I'll email you my # and I'll post it on the PASA board.

Luis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.