Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what i was thinking. As I was leaving throught the Pointe, 2 big ladder trucks with "Special Extraction Units" (or something like that) were printed on the side. I figured it was bad at that point. Phoenix.and Tempe fire departments and these guys. It's not like they are bored.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We ran into the guys buddy down at the 24th St parking lot. Said his friend might have pinched a nerve in his back as he had some numbness. Was in some pain also so he couldn't move. Wasn't some gnarly crash just came off a drop and twisted his back. He has good insurance as well. All this is according to the friend. Hope for the best.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
I heard he had to be air-evac'd out.. Anybody know what trail this happened on? We didn't see anybody injured coming down National at @0800
It happened in that playground area at the top of the mtn and to the west of Mormon just before Mormon hooks up with National. I don't think the injured guy was airlifted out because as my group rolled by around 9 or 9:30 the helicopters were heading away. There were plenty of ground rescue guys all over the mountain - they probably rolled him off. Appears that a group was doing jumps and one landed ok but then complained of a very sore back and had to lie down. No broken bones or anything, but possible back injury. I wish him the best. I do know that the guys were pretty nervous at being caught "off-trail".

·
Registered
339 Posts
DurtGurl said:
It happened in that playground area at the top of the mtn and to the west of Mormon just before Mormon hooks up with National. I don't think the injured guy was airlifted out because as my group rolled by around 9 or 9:30 the helicopters were heading away. There were plenty of ground rescue guys all over the mountain - they probably rolled him off. Appears that a group was doing jumps and one landed ok but then complained of a very sore back and had to lie down. No broken bones or anything, but possible back injury. I wish him the best. I do know that the guys were pretty nervous at being caught "off-trail".
Riding off-trail in a preserve is bad karma. I lied to my parents once about going skiing in New York from Baltimore. They didn't want me to drive that far as a beginner driver. Burned my effing clutch out in PA then my skis got stolen. Karma....

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
I have your back on the off-trail stuff, but I wouldn't wish a back injury on anyone. I've been dealing with one for four years and it sucks hard. Sounds like that guy's is pretty serious. He's going to regret that jump for a long time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A few months ago I was unloading my bike at the ramadas and watched at least 6 rescue/ambulance/fire trucks pull up. My buddy and I couldn't imagine what could have happened up there that would require this amount of force. It was the level of support you would expect from a small plane crash.

Turned out some hiker fell and had a bloody nose. The EMT guys told me they called a big group up because the initial report was that they guy's exact location was unknown and they figured they would have to split up and do a search.

That was an expensive bloody nose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.