Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fourth of July kinda snuck up on me. Mentally I needed a long ride, but physically I wasn’t sure if I was quite there, but heck thats what makes a good adventure. I charted out a 90ish mile ride mostly single track and about 30 miles of pavement and gravel roads to loop back to the start. I got a good nights sleep before the ride had an easy breakfast and headed out in the early afternoon. It was hot. Not crazy lower 48 hot, but too hot for us temperature sensitive Alaskans. The heat hurt. But is was kind of a good thing because it made me slow down and settle into a good 90 mile pace. I just eased back a bit and enjoyed the view as I climbed from Hope up Resurrection pass to Devils pass. Its about a 20 mile single track climb to the top of Resurrection, then you spend a while in sweet rolling alpine meadows until you hit the left onto Devils pass. Devils pass takes you by a blue alpine lake and some more open high country before dumping you down a screaming 10 mile downhill. From the bottom of Devils I rode a few miles of highway, to the southern Johnson’s pass trail head. From South to North, Johnson’s pass is a gradual climb. I hate riding Johnson’s south to north. About a mile into Johnson’s I cut my rear tire on some shale. Not a big deal, it would be an easy fix with an old credit card and some duct tape. If only I had an old credit card.... and some duct tape. So I sat on the edge of the trail, by a nice lake and thought about my problem. Digging through my pack I found a package of cliff shot. Perfect. I downed the cliff shot, folded the wrapper in half (using the sweet sticky goodness of the cliff shot to hold the wrapper on the tire) popped in the tube, pumped it up and headed off... slowly and carefully. As repairs go, the bulging pink wrapper didn’t even look close to safe. But I only had two options, first I could head back to the road, less than a mile behind me and carefully ride the highway back to Hope, or I could try and cross Johnson’s pass which meant 23 miles of trail and at least two more areas of sharp rocks. On my internal adventu-o-meter option one rated about -3. The choice was obvious, so I headed up the trail. After 13 miles of climbing I reached the lakes in the saddle of the pass. My tire was holding well, but it was getting late. The tire repair and slower more cautions pace had cost me at least an hour. Not a big deal I had all day and its daylight until well after midnight at this time of year. The issue was that Johnson’s pass is a bear habitat area. So as I’m thinking about how no one else seems to be out on the trial and the whole bear thing etc... I see about 15 feet in front of me, coming my way, on narrow singletrack, a bear. Hmm, well it always cool to see a bear... I guess. Mr. Bear looked at me turned and ran down the trail. When I got to where the bear was I realized that they really are more scared of us then we are of them.... Mr. Bear couldn’t hold his mud. Anyway, Mr. Bear didn’t want to leave the trail anymore than I wanted to turn around and go back the way I came, so we spent the next two miles running into, and generally scaring the crap out of each other. The rest of the ride was just beautiful. In the late evening, at this time of year, Alaska has this wonderful kind of lingering twilight. Its hard to explain, but its kinda like taking the best part of a dusky cool sunset after a hot day and stretching it out for about 4 or 5 hours.
Lots more to the ride, but nothing more to tell. It was a good full day on the trials, letting the mind wander, while me and my trusty steed ran down ran down some of those f***ing windmills....

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nice save

Such a cool ride. Thanks for the ride report. Up fo the amended version of the Sweet Roll in September ?:) Instead of going back down Johnson Pass and Devils Pass, the amended version will route the riders out of Johnson Pass trailhead to the Bike Path and down Hope Road. The ride will terminate at the Sea View.

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rio said:
Such a cool ride. Thanks for the ride report. Up fo the amended version of the Sweet Roll in September ?:) Instead of going back down Johnspass and Devils Pass, the amended version will route the riders out of Johnson Pass trailhead to the Bike Path and down Hope Road. The ride will terminate at the Sea View.

Sounds good. I'm gonna miss the Soggy this year. Have to go to an out of state wedding that weekend. Sounds like a good amendment to the Sweet Roll, but honestly that race was a one time thing amended or not, for me at least, there will never be another ride like that first sweet roll. But the cruse from Northern Johnson to Hope is great fun, and its a perfect way to end the ride.

Adam

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikesee said:
And yet you persist...

:skep:

Awesome pics. More please...

MC
Yeah I'm kinda funny that way. In fact this was my second ride north to south this this summer. Last weekend I did Johnson's pass... and tore a tire in the rocks... so two weeks, two rides and two tires. Interesting that I still didn't carry the gear to fix a torn sidewall with me this week.
Anyway here's some more. Lowland and waterfall pics from Johnson's Pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just had a discussion with some bikers in Montana at Big Sky this last weekend regarding bears. They carry bear pepper spray, and some of them used to ride with bells on their bikes. I joked with them about ringing the dinner bell and bringing the condements....

Many years ago I was up in Alaska at Ft. Wainwright with my unit conducting training patrols and getting ready to go up on the glaciers and to Ft. Greely for Northern Warfare School... low and behold we ran across a HUGE bear carcass and GOD WHAT A STENCH! Then my patrol's slack man spotted the boot under the bear. We rolled the dead bear over (it took all 9 of us) and discovered the body of the man who had shot the bear dead, still clutching the pistol he used. Apparantly the bear fell on him.....bad, bad luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
GpzGuy said:
We rolled the dead bear over (it took all 9 of us) and discovered the body of the man who had shot the bear dead, still clutching the pistol he used.
That's the best BS yet! :thumbsup:

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Sounds like a great ride!

I love both of those trails, those pass area photos on Resurrection look so inviting, and the run down Devil's pegs the fun meter!

It's good to hear a bear story that has a positive outcome. Did you get any pictures of it? For as long as you played hide and seek on the trail it must have been tempting to snap a few. Stars were aligned for ya on the tire fix too! Way to get out there and do it, but give one of us a call next time so you're not out there solo for so long and in such a remote area. Good job, and good route.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Question regarding bears - I will be riding a few times in the Rockies later on this summer (Jasper area - Alberta) and I have always wondered what to do regarding bears.

Some advice I have received indicates that I should use bear bells on my bike, but others say to no use bells and to ride silently.

As I'm not experienced in this, but obviously some of you here are, what advice do you offer? Should I use bells on my bike or not?

Thanks in advance. The pictures are great and if you can post some more from your ride, please do so!

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think noise is always good, no matter how you make it. So bells work. I like having bells on a crowded trail because hikers hear you also. But honestly I have run into bears with and without bells. My weekend ride was sans-bell. I was just riding along silently, which is probably why I ran into the bear, on long rides the ringing bell just drives me nuts. I really like the silence. But its not the best way to avoid a bear.

The main thing to avoid bears is just pay attention, don't ride with headphones or anything like that, keep your ears and eyes open, and make noise either with a bell or by singing or something. Avoid salmon streams or areas with lots of berries. If you smell rotting meat or see fresh blood on the trial, turn around and get out of there. (I actually saw a sign at a trial head once that warned of a recent bear kill in the area and said, if you smell rotting meat or see fresh blood on the trail turn around and slowly walk away, that's kinda stuck with me as good advice for life in general).

There is a school of thought that singing or traveling in a group and talking is the best way to deter bears because the bears will recognize a human voice as... well a human voice and run away. The bears generally want to avoid any contact with you, but you have to let them know you are coming.

Good Luck,
Adam

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thanks for the response. Very much appreciated. I hear you on the noise factor of bells (I ride without a bell here in the local trails).

I'll probably go with bells as will my riding buddy.

·
This place needs an enema
16,106 Posts
Adam said:
Yeah I'm kinda funny that way. In fact this was my second ride north to south this this summer. Last weekend I did Johnson's pass... and tore a tire in the rocks... so two weeks, two rides and two tires. Interesting that I still didn't carry the gear to fix a torn sidewall with me this week.
Anyway here's some more. Lowland and waterfall pics from Johnson's Pass.
More pics are required--but only after you acknowledge the brilliant innuendo that my post highlighted...

:D

MC

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mikesee said:
More pics are required--but only after you acknowledge the brilliant innuendo that my post highlighted...

:D

MC
Yes, yes... the brilliance of the humor was not lost on me. I was just going to leave it alone, because as you know I mainly go in for high-brow subtle type humor. I figured if I didn't poke at that joke it would simply remain impotent, however once one begins massaging this line of thought it becomes hard... to ignore.

more pics later today...

Adam

·
This place needs an enema
16,106 Posts
Adam said:
Yes, yes... the brilliance of the humor was not lost on me. I was just going to leave it alone, because as you know I mainly go in for high-brow subtle type humor. I figured if I didn't poke at that joke it would simply remain impotent, however once one begins massaging this line of thought it becomes hard... to ignore.

more pics later today...

Adam
Bravo--vast improvement.

Say, do sausage jokes count as 'high brow' these days?

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last pics

Here's a bunch more shots from Johnson's pass. The shot of the creek is the last pic I took on the ride, its toward the end of Johnson's pass as the sun bounced off the creek... nice sight at the end of the trail..

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
flyag1 said:
That's the best BS yet! :thumbsup:
I never lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do. Please don't disparage my honor again, as I take it very seriously. :nono: (Its the only thing any man can truly take with him to the grave.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts