Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
july 4 moab report try 2

Hi all.

Although its a little late, I wanted to share some photos of my moab trip over the 4th. Flew out from Miami (and avoided handling charges thanks to the amazing folding bilenky..

to Salt Lake and after a 4 hour car ride and some sleep, was ready to hit Slickrock!

Being from Miami, we ignored the warning about not riding after 10am and found ourselves on the trail till about 3pm. Amazing views, but who stole my oxygen?? Very dry. Seriously, drank 150oz of water and peed twice. Truly a once in a lifetime ride.

Next couple of days explored the rest of Moab including Porcupine Ridge (best combination trail I have ever ridden) and others.

The couplings stayed tight, the salsa delgado wheels stayed true, my friend skip did an emergency rebuild on my rear XTR hub by latern light (he rocks), the 2002 marzochi took a big beating, and everything worked out in the end. Drank some budweiser from the back of a ford pickup truck watching fire works, got on a plane and came back to miami. Next year gonna have to check out Colorado...

Oh yeah, the Spider Cyclery had a 18" monkey frame for $399

Thanks

-jv
Miami FL

Can't wait to go back. Met some dude with girlfriend who claimed to have ridden all the way in from Telluride on his 9 speed jericho. Couldn't tell what she was riding.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can you all see my photos

The post seems to show the photos for about 20 minutes then I get the dreaded "xbox". I have them hosted on picserver.org because the old upload photo option is gone...

Thxs

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Skip!

I can't believe it. I haven't seen that guy since I lived in Miami. Does he visit the Forums? Tell him Bryce says "HI" if you get the chance.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep that is skip

motoman711 said:
I can't believe it. I haven't seen that guy since I lived in Miami. Does he visit the Forums? Tell him Bryce says "HI" if you get the chance.
He's livin' in salt lake, send me your email and I will pass it on to him. You know how tall he is so he won't be hangin' in the 29er forum anytime soon. ;)

-jv

·
The Duuude, man...
3,533 Posts
here's a question:

how does a out-of-towner go to somewhere like Moab and insure the find the right trails, don't get lost, etc? Did you hire a tour guide, follow the crowd, ask locally, meet someone there?

Just curious, thinking I may go out as early as next spring.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of towner at Moab and tire choice

Hi. Finding good trails aren't a problem since there about 7 bike shops in a relatively small town. Locals were super friendly!!!

Plus I also had a book called Mountain BIking Moab by David Crowell.

Except for an unbuilt Monkey Frame, I didn't see another 29er in Moab. Seems the locals like to go big and most of the real rental bikes were of the "All Mountain" or Freeride category.

Not all of Moab's trails were slick rock. I ran WTB moto raptors because that is what I had on the bike. I suppose if I were to pick a tire strictly on the gripability or suitability for slick rock only, I probably would pick a smaller tread pattern such as nano raptor or irc notos.

Being from Miami the heat didn't bother me as much as the lack of oxygen.

Thxs

jv
miami fl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.