Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just testing the waters here...

i wasn't smart enough to ask for the 3rd (monday) off for a 4-day weekend :madman:, but could probably sneak out of here after lunch that day.

any interest in riding that afternoon? i'll be in boulder, so am open to routes in that vicinity (have never ridden west mag nor lion gulch).

suggestions? participants? lemme know.
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
I'm off that day, and might be able to meet up for a ride depending on what my wife has planned that day.

West Mag = Very Good but not that technical
Lions Gulch = Very Good but very technical in places

Very different type of riding, so just depends on what you are looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
generally i prefer the technical... :thumbsup:

but another consideration is distance to TH since we'd be starting in the afternoon. i'm not really sure where west mag is (nederland?) but lion gulch would be a trek, no?

keep the replies coming and we'll evaluate as we get closer.

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Here's a few pics from West Mag from Sunday.

View of Eldora ski area from some offshoot with lots of sand and horse poop.



One of the hobbit trails.



The connector trail between West Mag and the high school.



Don't forget pizza and beer at Backcountry Pizza after the ride!!!1
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
gotdirt said:
but another consideration is distance to TH since we'd be starting in the afternoon. i'm not really sure where west mag is (nederland?) but lion gulch would be a trek, no?
If you want a bit more technical, you could also consider the Blue Dots, they've got some technical bits. Blue Dots/West Mag both near Nederland.

Lion's Gulch a trek? Depends on where you are coming from. Its up 36 about 10 miles west of Lyons. I often go up there during weeknights to hike with my dogs (from Longmont) and I don't find it to be that far of a drive really. Its got a stiff climb right out of the parking lot, I'm always winded up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
need to pull out the guide books/maps

Jdub said:
Blue Dots/West Mag both near Nederland.
can both be ridden same afternoon? connected at all?

i've heard about "the dots" trails (assuming this must be part of that?), only in that they are part of the parcel that is potentially threatened to be sold to (supposedly) fund our school system... (bad precedent) :madmax:

zut, thanks for the pix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
gotdirt said:
can both be ridden same afternoon? connected at all?

i've heard about "the dots" trails (assuming this must be part of that?), only in that they are part of the parcel that is potentially threatened to be sold to (supposedly) fund our school system... (bad precedent) :madmax:

zut, thanks for the pix.
Both the dot system and West Mag can be ridden in the same day. If you leave the grocery story and head up the back way to the dot system, ride the dots, come back up West Mag to the 925 trails, then ride the hobbits, cross over west mag and head down behind the high school and get back to where you started, its about 16 miles +/- a few if you explore offshoots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zutmon said:
Both the dot system and West Mag can be ridden in the same day. If you leave the grocery story and head up the back way to the dot system, ride the dots, come back up West Mag to the 925 trails, then ride the hobbits, cross over west mag and head down behind the high school and get back to where you started, its about 16 miles +/- a few if you explore offshoots.
hmmm... that sounds like it might just qualify as the plan.
zut, any interest in leading that afternoon? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
gotdirt said:
hmmm... that sounds like it might just qualify as the plan.
zut, any interest in leading that afternoon? :D
Sorry, I got plans at Buffalo Creek on Monday.

I'm sending you a PM. I can email you the gps map we did when we rode the dots and west mag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, who's in?

thanks zut for the route... sounds like an afternoon of fun.

so, am i riding solo? jdub, any interest? where are you icegeek? debaser? scrub... er, never mind ;) ignazjr?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
icegeek said:
zounds like cee-bee for me, mondee. ssv possiblee Fridee or Saturdee.
word. let me know where you end up friday (and/or sunday for that matter).

jdub we'll check in late sunday or early monday.
 

·
ride
Joined
·
5,275 Posts
gotdirt said:
so, am i riding solo? jdub, any interest? where are you icegeek? debaser? scrub... er, never mind ;) ignazjr?
Sunday will be my typical get up at the crack of dawn to ride before the shop opens at noon. Don't know where I'll end up.

Monday will be another early one, all dayer. More than likely will be something from the Peaceful Valley universe. Don't know yet what it'll be. Probably another fly by the seat of my pants day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
west mag / dots / hobbits

i'll be leaving boulder around 12:45 heading to nederland, meeting davec113 for some singletrack fun. feel free to join us, we'll be leaving from the grocery store...
jdub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jdub said:
Well I couldn't shake free this afternoon unfortunately. I was up at West Mag early Saturday morning for a nice ride, but did pan out today. Hope you had a good ride.
not bad at all... had an ex-local (davec113) show me around a bit. i'll pull the images off the camera and see if any are worth posting.

cheers.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top