Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I posted a few days ago about going with either a Giant or the Juliana. I got to test ride the Juliana over two days for about 40+ miles. Wow! What a FUN bike :thumbsup: I am very used to my Giant Anthem 26 bike and what a difference! I was totally shocked at how well the Juliana climbed for a trail bike and descending definitely is confidence inspiring. So, I am going with this bike. I will be making a few changes to lighten up the ride. Going with lighter wheels / tires, probable will change bars and stem and seatpost (don't need a dropper post), and going to switch out the triple to a 2x (which is what the test bike had). I am also considering changing the 130 mm front fork to a 120 or 100. Any thoughts on that? I will NEVER use 130mm of travel. Hoping to shave off 2-3 pounds, which should bring the bike closer to 24-25 lbs.

Does anyone think switching out the forks for less travel will do anything to the overall geometry of the bike like lower it?

I would have never thought of a women's specific bike but this ride is really impressive.

:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would be concerned about switching the fork to a lower one. As it will steepen the head tube angle and also lower the bb height.

The steeper head tube angle will be good for climbing but will be bad for descending as it will likely not be as stable descending.

Then with the lower bb height you will be more likely to pedal strike.

If you are Insistent on changing the fork pay very close attention the the axle to crown measurement and find one that is as close to or equal to the current fork and the geometry shouldn't change much if at all.

·
7,758 Posts
Since it was so fun, I don't know that I would be anxious to change anything!

The only women's specific things on the Juliana Primiero are the bars, stem, saddle, and name, two of which you want to change, so it may just be a good bike (same geometry as Santa Cruz 5010) rather than woman-specific magic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congratulations, that's a sweet ride. I resist looking at the Furtado (or any new bike for that matter) because I can't afford it right now. Maybe in a few years.

As far as the changes.....be careful about making too many at once. I'd say that lighter wheels are almost always a plus, but for the rest I think that it may be wise to wait & ride it a while before changing. And then when you do, make 1 change at a time & ride that change for a while so that you can be sure that you really like that one change. But that's just me.

And a big +1 to what slowpok said about the fork. Be REALLY careful with that, because you can really goof up the geometry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to keep the fork. Even though I will never use that amount of travel, the weight difference between the 130 and 100 fork is really not that much to warrant screwing up the overall geometry. Definitely changing the wheels and trying to find a decent lighter 2.2 or smaller 2.3 tire. If I can knock of a couple of lbs by doing just that I'll be happy.

Bike should be at my lbs in the next week. Super excited to get back out on the trails with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and I bet you will use more of that travel then you think. If it is speced with the Maxxis high roller II tires like in the pics give them a chance they are some of the best tires I have ridden and they have mountains of traction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went with Stan's Crests with a Nobby Nick up front & a Rocket Ron on the rear. Dropped almost 3 full pounds with that setup, & really woke up the bike's handling. I know a lot of people that run a Rocket Ron up front with a Racing Ralph in the rear, but it all depends on what you like & like mtbxplorer said, the terrain. On that bike I'm not sure that I'd worry too much about the other components other than to dial in fit, but after my experience with lightening up the rolling weight, I will forever be a believer in that aspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts