Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Superfly with Avid Juicy Ultimate breaks. On the front, the pads move in and out much less than on the rear when I squeeze and release the brake levers with the bike in the stand. This makes it very difficult and finicky to set the front brake's position perfect enough to prevent rubbing. Any ideas, or do I need to go the rebuild kit route?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,470 Posts
kosmo said:
Pad contact point was set a max "out", but with such little piston travel, I've had to move it in a fair bit to balance front and rear lever travel.
Sounds like you have too much brake fluid in the system.

·
Bodhisattva
10,872 Posts
kosmo said:
I have a Superfly with Avid Juicy Ultimate breaks. On the front, the pads move in and out much less than on the rear when I squeeze and release the brake levers with the bike in the stand. This makes it very difficult and finicky to set the front brake's position perfect enough to prevent rubbing. Any ideas, or do I need to go the rebuild kit route?
Here's what I'd do:

Push the pistons back flush with the caliper with a clean screwdriver and squeeze the lever a few times. If that doesn't correct the problem then it's possible the reservoir is overfilled so I'd open the bleed port on the caliper and let out a small amount of fluid - maybe just a drop or two at a time. After letting a bit of fluid out, reset the pistons again & squeeze.

Also, are the pads F & R new? Uneven pad wear can feel like this.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Here's what I'd do:

Push the pistons back flush with the caliper with a clean screwdriver and squeeze the lever a few times. If that doesn't correct the problem then it's possible the reservoir is overfilled so I'd open the bleed port on the caliper and let out a small amount of fluid - maybe just a drop or two at a time. After letting a bit of fluid out, reset the pistons again & squeeze.

Also, are the pads F & R new? Uneven pad wear can feel like this.
Squeak/Scuba,

I've done the "pad reset" several times. No help. Pads are almost new, and this problem didn't start at the same time as I replaced pads.

I can try letting out a few drops of fluid, but how can there be too much fluid now, when it was fine for several months after initial purchase? I haven't bled the brake or added fluid since purchase.

Thanks! It is no surprise that the most help has come from the trusty Turner forum (luckily, the Sultan has stone ax reliable Shimano brakes)!

·
Bodhisattva
10,872 Posts
kosmo said:
Squeak/Scuba,

I've done the "pad reset" several times. No help. Pads are almost new, and this problem didn't start at the same time as I replaced pads.

I can try letting out a few drops of fluid, but how can there be too much fluid now, when it was fine for several months after initial purchase? I haven't bled the brake or added fluid since purchase.

Thanks! It is no surprise that the most help has come from the trusty Turner forum (luckily, the Sultan has stone ax reliable Shimano brakes)!
Your pistons could be dirty.

Remove the rotor. Place a screwdriver between the pads and while keeping it there squeeze the lever to extend the pads. Clean the pistons with q-tips soaked in isopropyl and then reset the pads. If that doesn't work, and letting fluid out doesn't work, then a full bleed might be necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.