Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride FR/DH in spots like Keystone and the juicy 3's came stock on my bike. I've heard some pretty bad reviews on these, all which seem to check out with my experience with the brake (even after bleeding it). Should I look into upgrading it? If so, what would be a good brake for what I'm doing?

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
The 3's use a lower grade of oil that has a lower boiling point = brake fade after pro-longed downhill runs.
From the 5's on up they use a higher grade of oil with a higher boiling point, so they are less likely to loose power on you.

Downhill, stick with the Codes or the new Elixer

·
Registered
Niner Rip 9 RDO
143 Posts
Snowman, Where'd you hear they use a lower grade of oil in the J 3's? That's what I got on my new IH 7Point. They felt a little spongey so I got a bleed kit and bleed them out. Also I adjusted the pistons out so I didn't have has much lever travel to engage pads to disc. They feel a lot better but I don't think the modulation is the greatist. They can be kind of grabby. They seem to have OK power. I've been thinking of going to the Codes or Hayes Strokers.

·
Registered
706 Posts
snow-man said:
SRAM catalog, I work for a shop

I forget the fluid numbers tho, may be on their website...
It's not a lower "grade" per se. It's just lower spec oil. The Juicy 3s and 5s use DOT4. 08' and up Juicy 7s and up use DOT5.1 now. The Juicy 3 is functionally identical to the rest of the Juicies if you have the same pads in them. Do a good bleed and give them another shot. Yes I did read where you said that they have been bled and still feel bad. It wasn't a good bleed. Bleed them again with DOT5.1.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Am I the only one that finds that the stock Avid pads really suck ass? Whether it's Juicy 7s or even the ones they spec on the cable actuated discs, the pads seem to REALLY suck.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Mr. Blonde said:
It's not a lower "grade" per se. It's just lower spec oil. The Juicy 3s and 5s use DOT4. 08' and up Juicy 7s and up use DOT5.1 now. The Juicy 3 is functionally identical to the rest of the Juicies if you have the same pads in them. Do a good bleed and give them another shot. Yes I did read where you said that they have been bled and still feel bad. It wasn't a good bleed. Bleed them again with DOT5.1.
I still think the J3s are a step down... they just feel cheap. The MC and caliper is different as well.

A good bleed does make a difference... but they never feel quite right.

The 08 Juicy 5 uses DOT 5.1 as well. The J3 uses DOT 4.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
personally I hate the juicy's....they feel like an XC brake ( I don't weigh 150 pounds...I weigh 225 with pads armour back pack and helmet - more weight you can feel the difference)

that being said........how good a rider are you (be honest) what I am getting at is don't upgrade to upgrade. If you are truely having problems then get some saints or codes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.