Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to vent some frustrations about my Avid Juicy 7s and sing my praises for Larry at Mtn. High Cycles.

Let me begin by saying that I'm a decent bike mechanic and that I've bled many a brake. Mostly Hayes, some Magura HS-33s back in the day and some hopes as well. This issue is closely related to another 'Juicy...beware...' posting in this forum.

Anyway, I while ago I picked up a pair of Juicy 7s. All was well and only the rear hose needed shortening. That said, I picked up a Juicy bleed kit. The instructions state to insert a hose barb into the hose, then slip the compression olive over the assembly, blah, blah, blah... when compressing, tighten the compression nut until the olive bottoms. Then tighten an additional 1.5 turns. I tightened an additional 1 turn before I hit tons of resistance.

I took the bike for a ride and all appeared well until I noticed that the fluid window was now slightly recessed. I pulled the compression nut cover off and noticed that fluid was leaking from the fluid. Oddly enough, fluid was leaving the system, but air wasn't coming back in.

I attempted to tighten the compression nut that additional half turn, rebleed and see what happens. All appeared well in the bike stand, but once out on the trail where they were really squeezed over and over again, I saw the same seepage.

I still had a compression olive and barb left, so I tried to do it all over again. This time, while one-quarter turn into the specified bottoming of the compression olive the compression nut cracked on all of it's flats. FARK!!!

This is where Larry at Mtn high cyclery stepped in. After some postings on this site, I called him and ordered the replacement parts that I needed. He couldn't have been more helpful and even offered some of the parts off of some levers that he had in the shop. The prices were great and shipping was quick and fair. A truely exceptional experience.

Back to the task at hand: when I had the replacement parts in hand, I attempted to back out the cracked compression nut. All of the exposed material from the compression nut started breaking off, piece by piece. Leaving about half of the threaded section of the compression nut (~5mm) inside of the lever body.

So, knowing that it wasn't in there all that tight, I work cut the hose as closely to lever as I could (This makes twice now that I've trimmed the hose beyond the point of the initial, intended shortening). I then dremmeled out the remaining hose as well as the barb that was now exposed. Making room for the e-z out bit.

The e-z out bit wouldn't grab. I just didn't have the depth I needed for it to bite. It did however, make a verticle crack in the sleeve. I saw this as an oppurtunity to get the sleeve out in pieces. I carefully began chiselling out the sleeve. Things appeared to be going ok until the first section that I was attempting to break up now cracked horizontally. That s*cked. A couple of more attempts and I gave up.

Now I have slightly less than half of the threaded portion of the compression nut still inside of the lever body. It's pretty much FUBAR. I have an e-mail out to Avid/SRAM but I know that parts are hard to come by for Juicys. Larry, do you still have that busted pair? :D Truth be told though, I don't know what I'll do different when I do get my hands on a replacement part.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Juicy brakes aren't the first with issues like this. Many have stripped or cross-threaded hayes master cylinders as well. I for one would hapilly take a 20-30g penalty to have a bit more robust mounting at the lever. MFGs seem to be out for the lightest as oposed to the best method.

At any rate, I feel your pain. Good luck

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That sounds freaking terrible. I have avoided changing hose length because ppl have mentioned probs with the olive/compression fittings. It does seem pretty brittle. Luckily for me I have a pretty long/tall bike and the extra hose is not a big deal.

The good part is once you get it all sorted, the brakes absolutely spank all.

Good luck, and ditto on Larry being The Man.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that the Avid aquisition by SRAM is working against me here. Where avid have always been incredibly responsive, I sent them a detailed message and a picture on Friday, and I've yet to hear back.

I'll gladly pay for the part that I need. Don't know if I'll keep the brakes, but I'd like to get them working again.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
incubus said:
I think that the Avid aquisition by SRAM is working against me here. Where avid have always been incredibly responsive, I sent them a detailed message and a picture on Friday, and I've yet to hear back.

I'll gladly pay for the part that I need. Don't know if I'll keep the brakes, but I'd like to get them working again.
It's really a shame. I think the old Avid customer service spoiled us. SRAM is a more of a pain in the tuckus and has a policy not to deal directly with customers. You will probably have more response going through a shop. Maybe Larry can help again.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That's funny, but I was never blown away by Avid's email customer service. I would usually hear back after a week. They guy who replied to emails wasn't even at Avid, so they could not talk to the tech guys on demand. Calling was generally my best bet. Then things would happen expeditiously. They were good about sending out replacement parts on demand and then just wait to receive the defective stuff back at your liesure.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Do you know if the just the levers are available? I'm in a similar situation - the compression fitting got stuck inside the lever and I've tried everything to get it out. Does any one have any suggestions for removing it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NoCoasting said:
Do you know if the just the levers are available? I'm in a similar situation - the compression fitting got stuck inside the lever and I've tried everything to get it out. Does any one have any suggestions for removing it?
I don't know if they're available. I don't see the part on an any of the sites that translate the QBP catalog to their own site (i.e. aebike or mtbstore).

I'd pay for the part, if only to get the brakes back together to sell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts