Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my juicys and the lever will not engage soon enough for my like. I have the pad adjustment knob all the way out like it explained in the instructions so that I will have the lever engage soon but I am still egaging the pads onto the rotor after about 1inch of lever travel.

I recently bled the brakes thoroughly and when the pads contact the rotor it is a solid feeling on the levers, no squish at all really. I was wondering if possibly I should rebleed with the pad adjustment knob in the middle (10 full revolutions from full out) and adjust from there.

Thanks

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Try taking the wheel out, and squeezing the lever a little bit to pump out the pistons a bit, then put the wheel back in. It should give you a slightly shorter pull. Otherwise yes, you can bleed it with the knob somewhere in the middle. It's intentionally overfilling the system.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would intentionally overfilling the system be bad or would it just be considered adjusting the system?

Also, is this a common method for fixing this problem? I initially bled my brakes with the knob set all the way out.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
psunuc said:
Would intentionally overfilling the system be bad or would it just be considered adjusting the system?

Also, is this a common method for fixing this problem? I initially bled my brakes with the knob set all the way out.
If it is TOO overfilled, the system won't be able to compensate for fluid expansion. And when the system becomes hot, the pistons may push out and drag. So you've got to find the in between.

Try pumping out the pistons first.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second what Will said. I have J7's and ran into the same problem (pad engagement too late in the lever throw). I did the intentional overfill, which worked OK, but my brakes would "pump up" on really hot days. After rebleeding correctly, I did exactly what Will suggested (pump the levers a small amount with the wheel out) and it worked perfectly - it simply repositions the pads farther out in their travel. Just be careful that you don't push the pistons too far out or you'll have to pry them back in and start over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.