Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent an evening trying to restore inboard piston motion in a rear caliper.

Cleaned and lubed pistons with a little rubber grease and both pistons move smoothly and easily but the inboard one is lazy and only moves if the outboard one is restrained. (Both pistons are in good nic, no chipping or cracks).

Performed a bleed, which wasn't required (never had lever fade issues) but no improvement. The pistons push back completely into the bores providing plenty of clearance, but won't retract from the rotor when the lever is operated....

This is my second set of 2-3 year old Juicys to have the same symptom. A seal kit MIGHT help, but it costs $100 here so it's hardly worth considering.... esp when an XT-775 only costs $170.

Avid Juicy - great brake, but short lived...:sad:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
mine are going on 4 years, no issues... lube them with brake fluid, not grease

i have a set of OLD juicys (one of the first models) and they still work just fine, they aren't as strong as the newer ones, but they still work without issue

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Haggis said:
Anyone overcome the non-retracting piston problem with a piston & seal replacement?
I believe the usual solution is to move to different brakes. The Juicy is pretty much at the crappy end of the whole spectrum.

How come you have $100 in your head for a seal kit? They're only £10 in the UK (link).

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteveUK said:
I believe the usual solution is to move to different brakes. The Juicy is pretty much at the crappy end of the whole spectrum.

How come you have $100 in your head for a seal kit? They're only £10 in the UK (link).
What brake do you recommend Steve, given that the Rainy Isles are fairly similar to NZ. XTs hold up ok?

We get shafted for spares over here. CRC is the default goto, but they been out of Juicy kits for ages...

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Sorry man, I should have noticed before I posted that the seal kit wasnt in stock.

What would your budget be? What size rotors do you currently have and what's a typical ride like for you?

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SteveUK said:
Sorry man, I should have noticed before I posted that the seal kit wasnt in stock.

What would your budget be? What size rotors do you currently have and what's a typical ride like for you?
No bother. Found a kit at another UK store for 10pd, which works out a lot better, prob around $40 landed. Just not sure it's gonna resolve the problem and whether it's worth phaffing with... (I happily service forks, shocks etc and brakes aren't usually so painful).

Budget etc - I'd rather spend a bit more to have a reliable, powerful brake. The Juicy's have been fine until now - 8"/7" rotors, 90kg, 6" fully, fast rider, plenty of 300-700m hills around here.

I have read the XT775 isn't quite as powerful as the Juicy and they don't like extreme cold, not that it's a big problem here... (Sick of the snow over there yet?).

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The most popular brakes over here - at least in terms of non-OEM stuff - are probably Shimano and Hope.

My on-the-trail experience of current Shimano brakes is rather limited, but they feel well made (like most Shimano components) and they are, of course, supported by a decent warranty.

The only brakes I ever recommend are Hope. Apart from having different caliper designs to suit different applications - rather than a one-size-suits-all approach - they are superbly well built; perform consistently whatever you're riding; are stupidly simple to bleed (no special kit required); have all small parts available after-market, so service and even complete overhaul are easy and uncomplicated; are supported by one of the best customer service ethics in the business; and, if you like that kind of thing, they look quite outstanding.

Even if you were on a tight budget, I'd say buy used Hope. As long as they're not scratched and gouged to death, they can easily and inexpensively be serviced and back to "new" in under an hour.

Whether you go for the new Tech set-up or the previous (silver and black) Mono range, you'd probably find the M4 to be the most suitable. If you're economical with the rear brake, then an X2 or Mono Mini might suffice. Either way, a 183mm front and 160mm rear should do you fine.

The snow is ****. I've had enough and to top it off nicely the temps have dropped even lower now, so the six or seven inches weve had in the last couple of days are starting to freeze solid. Here's what the island looks like at the moment...

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pistons/seals replaced and brake working as it should again.

The old pistons looked mint; smooth and unpitted. Can only put the problem down to worn out square seals, or some undetectable change to the piston surface??

For anyone else doing this, I can't reinforce JT's advice here enough:

Also, getting the pistons out can be a bit tricky. If you don't have a shop compressor and nozzle to stick into the caliper to blow out the pistons, remove the pads and pump the brake lever and allow the pistons to push out. Make sure you apply pressure on one side or the other with a 12mm open end or box wrench to allow the pistons to push out evenly. Eventually one piston will pop out and the other will be sticking out far enough to pull out, if not by hand us a pair of channel grips with a rag if you intend on reusing the pistons.

My old pistons were moving fairly freely so I just popped one side out by squeezing the lever and assumed I could get the lazy side out with my compressor. Nup - couldnt make it budge. Had to drill a hole in it and dremel a channel to break it up. (Was that or reassemble the brake, refill/bleed and clamp the active piston...).

All good now.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Glad to hear it's all working out.

The Juicy 7 really isn't that bad of a brake. There are better offerings out there. There are more well-made brakes. But they are inexpensive and perform adequately. I had a set for 4 or 5 years. I had a few other sets too. I've replaced them with Elixirs. I like Avids because of low initial cost and because parts are easy to source. In terms of performance, I've never been let down. I've owned and tried many other brakes out there. I still stick by Avid. They've always worked well for me.

100 for seals and pistons is outrageous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.