Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Juicy Five breaks ringing

Hi,
New to full suspension and hydraulic breaks. I just bought a new bike with Juicy Fives and the front breaks seem to ring a bit when turning or hitting some bumps (or even just riding on pavement). The rears don't do this (they did, but my LBS where I bought them sprayed a bit of grease on them and they stopped), and my wife has the same bike/breaks and they don't ring. I brought it back into the LBS and they explained sometimes these breaks just ring and need to break in. I'll accept this, but I'm a bit skeptical since the breaks on my lady's bike don't ring.
Can anyone tell me whether this is expected from these breaks or if there are adjustments than can be made to keep this from happening. Can they just be adjusted (assuming they're rubbing and that's causing the *ringing* sounds? If so, how? Or should I just leave it to the LBS to handle it?

Much thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
The ring is probably the rotor rubbing a tiny bit.... that might go away as the pads wear, or you can ask your LBS to recenter the caliper, you can also do it yourself...

momar said:
they did, but my LBS where I bought them sprayed a bit of grease on them and they stopped),
This is scary... never put any lubricant, not even the grease from your skin, on the rotors, the pads will get contaminated and the brakes won't work..... if your LBS did this ask them to clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol and replace the pads.......... it is likely that they just cleaned them, but if they used lubricant, sorry, but your pads are toast

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
This is scary... never put any lubricant, not even the grease from your skin, on the rotors, the pads will get contaminated and the brakes won't work..... if your LBS did this ask them to clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol and replace the pads.......... it is likely that they just cleaned them, but if they used lubricant, sorry, but your pads are toast
Thanks much. Luckily they didn't spray lubricant on the pads or rotor itself, but I think they did into the pinching/sqeezing mechanism away from the rotor and pads [sorry I don't know the term for this]. Hopefully that didn't mess it up. The LBS has a really good reputation which is why I bought the bikes from them. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed here and just assume they knew what they were doing.
I thought the front rotor might be rubbing, so I'll either bring it back in or try adjusting it slightly myself.
Much thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
momar said:
Thanks much. Luckily they didn't spray lubricant on the pads or rotor itself, but I think they did into the pinching/sqeezing mechanism away from the rotor and pads [sorry I don't know the term for this]. Hopefully that didn't mess it up. The LBS has a really good reputation which is why I bought the bikes from them. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed here and just assume they knew what they were doing.
I thought the front rotor might be rubbing, so I'll either bring it back in or try adjusting it slightly myself.
Much thanks again.
Anytime! :thumbsup:

Glad to help.. enjoy that new ride of yours!

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Do you have the wavy looking rotors on your bike? It seems SRAM is replacing these rotors with a newer version because of noise.

Spin the wheel, make sure the rotor runs true. Take the wheel off and gently pry the pads apart a bit and then replace the wheel and see if that helps.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Do you have a quick-release type fork? Sometimes a loose skewers can cause the wheel to shift a tiny bit in the drop outs when hitting a bump or turning and that might be the "zing"-like sound you are hearing. Check those first.

If they are pretty tight, you might want to check if the rotor is true, just spin the wheel slowly and look through the caliper to see if the rotor touches the pads anywhere during the rotation. Try correcting this by pushing on the arms that hold the braking surface, but not on the braking surface itself(it is very important you do not touch your rotors unless you like cleaning them a lot).

If all else fails have your LBS re-center the caliper or try doing it yourself if you feel mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff.
I could tell by giving the wheel a turn it was rubbing at one particular spot, so I did the simplest thing first and removed and repositioned the front tire. I put it back on and no ringing.
I'm going to give the rotors a cleaning with alcohol before getting back on because of all my handling of the wheel. Guess I just have a lot to learn about these breaks.
Thanks again for all your help. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.