Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Juicy 7's - will non avid DOT fluid effect performance

I need to bleed my Juicy's and am out of the Avid fluid and can not find any from the LBS in my area. I know avid recommends using the Avid DOT fluid, but states DOT 4 or 5.1 will work.

Has any one tried non avid fluid in the Juicy's and will it adverserly (or positively) effect the performance? I can order some Avid fluid but would prefer to get something locally if I can.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
If they say it will work....

string said:
I need to bleed my Juicy's and am out of the Avid fluid and can not find any from the LBS in my area. I know avid recommends using the Avid DOT fluid, but states DOT 4 or 5.1 will work.

Has any one tried non avid fluid in the Juicy's and will it adverserly (or positively) effect the performance? I can order some Avid fluid but would prefer to get something locally if I can.
but DOT 5 fluid? DOT 5 can't be mixed wtih DOT 3 or 4. 3 and 4 can be mixed, but don't bother, just use DOT 4.

I don't have a set of Juicys myself, and have not read the instructions, so don't believe anything I have to say about how DOT4 will work. I still wouldn't use DOT5. I have Maguras, and if I put anything but Magura fluid in there, I could trash the brakes or degrade their performance, so I won't take any chances. I always keep a bottle of Magura fluid in my shop, just in case. That is exactly the kind of thing you won't find locally when you really need it.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I used some STP or similar brand DOT 4 brake fluid I got at Wal-Mart. Worked fine. I would not bother paying more for Avid's fancy packaging and tiny bottle. If anything, the non-Avid stuff seemed to have a tiny bit lower viscosity, which should make things snappier, but I did not feel any difference.

·
Registered
304 Posts
pimpbot said:
but DOT 5 fluid? DOT 5 can't be mixed wtih DOT 3 or 4. 3 and 4 can be mixed, but don't bother, just use DOT 4.

I don't have a set of Juicys myself, and have not read the instructions, so don't believe anything I have to say about how DOT4 will work. I still wouldn't use DOT5. I have Maguras, and if I put anything but Magura fluid in there, I could trash the brakes or degrade their performance, so I won't take any chances. I always keep a bottle of Magura fluid in my shop, just in case. That is exactly the kind of thing you won't find locally when you really need it.
DOT 5.1 is a synthetic that is compatible with DOT 3 and 4. DOT 5 is silicone based and NOT compatible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.