Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Cannondale F1000. The bike has Juicy 7's on it. When I spin the rear wheel I can faintly make out the sound of the disc break rubbing. The front doesn't rub at all. I brought the bike into the LBS from which I bought it. They adjusted it and said a little tiny bit of rubbing is normal on a bike that hasn't been ridden. As of right now I haven't done anything more than a test drive on the bike. My LBS said a if the rubbing is very light a little riding will break it in. Is there any truth in this?

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I've always told myself that a brand new brakeset is definitley going to require some breaking in. Its true also. Take your bike for a ride and dis-regard the rubbing for a moment. A nice, downhill and applying the brakes might help break it in. After a few rides and your brakes feel at peak optimum, check for rubbing and re-align if needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml
MTBR.com Brake Time Forum - Disc Brakes FAQ
I did check that FAQ out. Maybe it's just me but I didn't see anything mentioning breaking them in. I did see a part saying that there is only one brake that's supposed to rub. But are they talking about rubbing through a break in period or rubbing all the time?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raptordude said:
I've always told myself that a brand new brakeset is definitley going to require some breaking in. Its true also. Take your bike for a ride and dis-regard the rubbing for a moment. A nice, downhill and applying the brakes might help break it in. After a few rides and your brakes feel at peak optimum, check for rubbing and re-align if needed.
Unless I hear something very convincing to the contrary that's how I plan on handling it. The guy at my local LBS pretty much said the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.