Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. I think they're too grabby. I'm new to hydraulic brakes so I'm not sure how to rectify this situation but I figure different pads would be a good start. The front seems to be grabbier than the back ... possibly because it's the larger rotor (203 mm)? TIA for input. :cheers:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Adjust contact point

not sure if have tried this but with an allen key you can adjust the contact point of pad engagement, You will see a red dial on your brake levers and a corresponding arrow.

Try different adjustments.

If that doesnt work then may be your calipers need to be reset, check the dial first.

The point of hydo's is to have better modulation and stopping power over other brakes.

You shoul be able to feather your brakes without a total lock up.

Sometimes if the pads and rotors are worn you lose modulation - have you checked your set up?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My Juicy 7's are grabby too, I like it that way though. It is easy enough to modulate by hand. Go with a smaller rotor if you arent concerned about losing a bit of power. You could also just let a bubble into your brake line:D

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I conveyed the impression that they're ridiculously grabby ... they're not. When I have any kind of speed going they're fine and modulate well enough. The grab is noticeable (and annoying) when I try to do controlled moves at very low speed, especially in standstill / adjust position maneuvers.

Bike is new and I have no reason to think the adjustments are bad, though I'll check them out and thanks for the suggestion ... I seem to remember that some people here have studied opinions on pads ... any thoughts on good pads anyone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Avid makes an organic brake pad that is supposedly less grabby. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard very good things about them if you want something that doesn't have such an on/off feel :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
UpwardSpiral said:
Avid makes an organic brake pad that is supposedly less grabby. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard very good things about them if you want something that doesn't have such an on/off feel :thumbsup:
Yesssssss. The organic pad is less grabby. For those that like the middle ground try an organic and a sintered pad in each brake. Not quite so grabby until you need it to be

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
UpwardSpiral said:
The Avid organics are nice. The downside is, they wear a good bit faster.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You could try a World Cup Blackbox mod which involves cutting a groove - or two if needed - in the pad material down to the back plate with either a dremel or a plain old hacksaw. I've not tried it but it is something that was used by Avid to reduce the risk of snatching a brake for the DH team riders.

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul5s said:
You could try a World Cup Blackbox mod which involves cutting a groove - or two if needed - in the pad material down to the back plate with either a dremel or a plain old hacksaw. I've not tried it but it is something that was used by Avid to reduce the risk of snatching a brake for the DH team riders.
cool. i love tinkering like that. what angle are the grooves wrt the vector of the rotor moving through the brake?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The grooves are cut along the full width of the pad, looking at the pad the small removal tags would be the top and the grooves run straight across the pad from side to side.

I hope this makes it clear, simple enough to do but a bit harder to put into understandable english ;)

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I understand ... it seems that a longitutinal groove like that would wear the rotor unevenly ... right? because it's always the same 'slice' of the rotor that doesn't contact the pad. maybe the groove is slightly angled? (or maybe those racing guys don't care about the rotor and just change it when it becomes an issue)

·
Registered
730 Posts
With a straight cut groove and a round rotor it will not contact the same point and wear a groove in the rotor as it will sweep across the pad slots as it moves round.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.