Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of J7. The brakes works fine but the caliper for the front is too close to the spoke of my wheeset (approximately 1mm). I don't know if something got to do with the wheelset itself or the fork. My setup is an '05 Marathon SL & '05 Crossmax SL (bladed spokes). Does anyone have the same issues like mine? Thanks.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
wignacio said:
I just bought a set of J7. The brakes works fine but the caliper for the front is too close to the spoke of my wheeset (approximately 1mm). I don't know if something got to do with the wheelset itself or the fork. My setup is an '05 Marathon SL & '05 Crossmax SL (bladed spokes). Does anyone have the same issues like mine? Thanks.
One option is to shim the rotor out a bit (Syntace makes some nice rotor shims) http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=SY9500
then you can adjust the caliper out a bit further to gain a little more clearance.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Ventanarama said:
One option is to shim the rotor out a bit (Syntace makes some nice rotor shims) http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=SY9500
then you can adjust the caliper out a bit further to gain a little more clearance.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
That's what I was going to say. It's probably the fork, caliper, hub combination. They're probably all manufactured to some extreme of the tolerances.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem with my Juicyt 5 and originally I fixed the problem by shimming the rotor with a set of 6 washers. Later, another LBS suggested I fix the problem by changing from my original Avid caliper mount to a Hayes one. Been working ever since!

·
Registered
347 Posts
sdchew said:
Later, another LBS suggested I fix the problem by changing from my original Avid caliper mount to a Hayes one. Been working ever since!
I can't believe that this will fix the problem. The caliper is self-centering over the rotor when you mount it. A different caliper mount will not change that. So unless you move the rotor away from the spokes with a shim, I don't see how this can be fixed.
On the other hand, maybe I'm missing something...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have never heard of this before. Are other people having this problem? I am looking at replacing my Hayes HFX9 Carbons on my NRS for a pair of Juicy 7's.
Do you have any pics of your set up?

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Rider is partially right, If the caliper is properly centered on the rotor then it's position relative to the wheel(and spokes) will not change.

Why then would the Hayes adaptor change where the caliper sits?

Because Of the Avid CPS "washers" push the caliper outward, away from the hub and thus away from the spokes. None of this is supposed to happen, in theory because both systems are supposedly designed to allow the calipers to be mounted directly to the Manitou post mount but the Hayes adaptor is taller than the Avid adaptor.

So? it works...right?

In the short term yes but probably not in the long term. If the caliper isn't sitting where it belongs on the rotor then the pads aren't sweeping the entire rotor but more importantly the rotor isn't going to contact the entire pad, lower part of the pad is worn away and the top isn't eventually the tops of the pads will contact eachother and shortly later press against eachother instead of the rotor. Anybody care to guess what happens then?

All that said, the best way is to shim the rotor and/or if you don't have the avid calipers get the mounting tabs faced. If that doesn't work then shim the rotor. If you've got a brand x caliper on a brand y adaptor pull the pads out once in a while and make sure the ENTIRE pad face is being worn.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i heard of clearance issues with the Juicy 7 and Crossmax SL wheels. however, i run this combo (on Reba fork) and had no probs with caliper rubbing the spokes, BUT i did have probs, unable to centre the caliper over the rotor with undue rubbing. so i did have to use washers/shims to space the rotor out from the hub towards the L, curing my probs.

given it's only a millimetre or two, it may all boil down to manufacturer tolerances. yet the design/bulge of the juicy caliper no doubt contributes to the issue.

:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shiny_car said:
i heard of clearance issues with the Juicy 7 and Crossmax SL wheels. however, i run this combo (on Reba fork) and had no probs with caliper rubbing the spokes, BUT i did have probs, unable to centre the caliper over the rotor with undue rubbing. so i did have to use washers/shims to space the rotor out from the hub towards the L, curing my probs.

given it's only a millimetre or two, it may all boil down to manufacturer tolerances. yet the design/bulge of the juicy caliper no doubt contributes to the issue.

:)
i'm thinking of changing my rotor size to 185mm. that means different adapter. that will move the caliper farther away from the hub

·
Registered
254 Posts
shims

There has been an issue with some avid brakes needing to have the rotor shimmed over a bit. Avid was recommending the Syntace shims to customers.

If anyone needs any shims or needs to know where to get them feel free to contact me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.