Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of 2004 Juicy 7's. I know most brakes require the pads to bed in but these things are weak. I did a handfull of short hill run stops but the brakes feel like ice on butter. Any advice ? Thanx

·
Registered
119 Posts
My experience

The Juicy 7's came stock on my 2005 Stumpy. I had a few issues with the polygon rotors so Avid sent me a pair of the round BB7 rotors and new pads. I bedded the brakes by doing several quick stops down a local street that has a good grade. The brakes were ok at that point, a little noise now and then, and average power. Not as strong as the hayes brakes on my Demo 9. After a few rides the power seemed to increase and all noise subsided. After riding on them for a complete season the brakes are just as good if not better that anything else I have tried. Don't get discouraged, give them some time and I'm sure you will be rewarded.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Mine (185's) had great stopping power from the get go.

Now the noise was another matter. After trying Avids and Hayes, clean sweep, polygon, wavy, round....ect. rotors, I went to Galfer rotors and pads to get them to be totaly quite. It is wrong to have to spend another $120 to get something right. Are you listening Scram!

Now they are the best brakes I have ever tried.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I installed two brakesets this weekend. BB7's & the Juicys. The BB7's felt ok and got stronger during a ride - never any noise. The Juicy's were noisy & squeek on and off w/ very little power compared to the BB7's. I am using round rotors w/ the Juicy's. If they don't improve with a serious ride I'll fiddle with the pads - shoudn't really have to as they are new ???

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
keen said:
Well I installed two brakesets this weekend. BB7's & the Juicys. The BB7's felt ok and got stronger during a ride - never any noise. The Juicy's were noisy & squeek on and off w/ very little power compared to the BB7's. I am using round rotors w/ the Juicy's. If they don't improve with a serious ride I'll fiddle with the pads - shoudn't really have to as they are new ???
The BB7's have a knob on the inside pad so it can be easily adjusted. Hydrolic calipers can be a bit finikey, most cases when the brakes squeal it's due to the caliper needing adjustment.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
I had the same experience with my Juicy 7's - ended up ebaying them at a significant loss.

I'm using Magura Martas now, 180mm Enduro version front, 160mm rear. Right from the start - huge power and great modulation. Juicy's were my first hydro brake, but the Martas are what I expected hydros to be. Plus they weigh almost half a pound less.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Are you sure the rotors are clean too?
Apparently it's best to use isopropyl ("rubbing alchohol"), since it leaves no residue. The suggestion to scrub the pads might not help in this case if the pads are new.

If the pads happen to get contaminated with brake or fork fluid that's another story too (er, did that once or twice), and cooking them can help, even though LBSs don't like to recommend it, when they can sell you a new set instead.

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
I just replaced my mono minis with a set of juicy carbon 185's the other day. We did a 30+ mile ride yesterday and they were flawless...great modulation, tons of stopping power, and not a noise out of them. When I installed them I wiped the rotors down with alcohol and did a dozen or more slow gradual stops in the street...no noise at all. The first few stops did not have a whole lot of stopping power but by the time I was done breaking them in they were fine.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
fsrxc said:
Are you sure the rotors are clean too?
Apparently it's best to use isopropyl ("rubbing alchohol"), since it leaves no residue. The suggestion to scrub the pads might not help in this case if the pads are new.

If the pads happen to get contaminated with brake or fork fluid that's another story too (er, did that once or twice), and cooking them can help, even though LBSs don't like to recommend it, when they can sell you a new set instead.
Denatured alcohol is good for cleaning rotors too. It can actually degrease. Cooking pads can help. I'm not sure if it's in my mind or not, but I always feel that after it's been contaminated it's never quite the same.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
singlespeedsycip said:
I just replaced my mono minis with a set of juicy carbon 185's the other day. We did a 30+ mile ride yesterday and they were flawless...great modulation, tons of stopping power, and not a noise out of them. When I installed them I wiped the rotors down with alcohol and did a dozen or more slow gradual stops in the street...no noise at all. The first few stops did not have a whole lot of stopping power but by the time I was done breaking them in they were fine.
Proper break-in is essential to the performance of any brake. I'm running my Juicy 7s with my 203mm Hayes rotor. These are still my favorite brakes so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts