Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juicy 7's - originals that came on my 05 prophet 1000.
The rear reservoir has a leak at the edge where the cover fits.
I have taken off the cover and cleaned the rubber and refitted. Nothing appeared to be wrong and for a week it seemed to work OK. Now its weeping when pressure is applied to the brake lever.

Is it possible that the rubber expansion element has a pinhole hole and is allowing a small amount of fluid to slowly migrate through???? Can these ne ordered separately?
Any advice????

Thanks, TonyG.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Juicy's just ain't all that juicy

I've got a set of 2006 Juicy 5's and wouldn't you know, exactly the same thing.

A little bleeding will help the situation, but you need to replace the top cap/seal. This happened to my rear brake 3 months ago (less than one year!) and is now happening on my front lever (already have the part ordered in again). Not even a year's worth of riding either:madmax:

Chris at my LBS has even had his Dad's bike exhibit the same fault - and his bikes are very very well maintained (ex-mechanic).

Avid- get on improving your product!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The rubber diaphram is an issue...
I always wondered what the black debris was in the syringe while bleeding my brakes... then I figured it out. The rubber was deteriorating! And then, not surprisingly, the brake started to leak out of the resevoir. It cost $35 NZ to buy the kit - easy swap out and bleed and it was sorted.
Now the other side is exhibiting the exact same trait...
Stoopid Avids.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weak product

Thanks for the replies and confirmation that this is a general problem with these brakes. I have no confidence in both levers now and will either replace both levers or the seals depending on spares availability etc.

I have to say that this is not the kind of failure I would expect in such a short time frame - 5years out maybe but not within a year. There must be an incompatibility in the material for this to happen. My Prophet is about 18 months since purchase but has had very very light use (lots of its life in storage - another story).....TonyG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.